Forum: Ruby Re: A bug? FXRuby 1.4.6 segment fault when FXFileDialog.new

unknown (Guest)
uncutstone wu wrote:
> FXRuby 1.4.6 works fine except I call  FXFileDialog.new.
>
> My enviroment is :
> windows 98
>  cygwin version 2.427
> ruby 1.8.1 (2003-12-25)

>Can't reproduce  it with fxruby-1.4.6 on ruby-1.8.4, linux.
> Maybe upgrading your ruby will give some useful information?

Dear Uncutstone,

I have Ruby 1.8.4 and the latest (last-week's) edition of Cygwin
installed,
also FXRuby and FOX, on a Windows XP machine.
I had trouble using Windows/Cygwin and Ruby  bindings-software
(ruby-gsl)
myself,
just some time ago. None of these problems was Ruby's fault or the
fault of those Ruby-bindings-for-software-xyz. If you can't fix them
using
the
rebaseall for the Windows DLLs, I'd suggest you

- either upgrade to Windows XP/Cygwin (which may still cause you
problems,
I get mad at cygwin once in 3 months),
- you install a dual-boot with Linux (may be troublesome with respect to
disk space),
- you drop Windows altogether (may cause problems if you want to scan
or do other multimedia things).

- you keep your Windows and try compiling with MINGW
_www.mingw.org_ (http://www.mingw.org) . I have no experience with
this, but
people who know
it claim that it gives more usable output than Cygwin  compilations.

I had used Windows 98 earlier (I didn't know about Ruby then, so I
didn't  use
it, but I remember that I had 3-5 crashes a day for no obvious  reason.
This has stopped in Windows XP.

Best regards,

Axel
Uncutstone W. (Guest)
on 2006-05-24 19:51
Very thanks for your advice.

I will upgrade my pc( you can't imagine, it's a AMD 350 one)in near
future, and stop using buggy windows 98.

recently , I  have to endure it painfully . :-)

uncutstone