Forum: Ruby on Rails how to pull text from database and eval it?

Charlie B. (Guest)
I'm trying to add some executable code to my blog posts.  How can I
include this inside of a blog post and eval it?

Charlie bowman
http://www.recentrambles.com
Greg D. (Guest)
On 5/23/06, Charlie B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>  I'm trying to add some executable code to my blog posts.  How can I include this inside
> of a blog post and eval it?

In my controller I have a method that does this:

@content = Content.find(  :first, :conditions => [  'active = 1 AND
action = ?', params[:id] ] )

Then in my view I have this:

<%= render_template 'rhtml', @content.body %>
Charlie B. (Guest)
I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at.  Currently I pull the
post from the database, pass it to a template and the text is displayed.
How could I embed a small block of code in that text that instead of
being displayed, it will be executed?  Forgive me if that's what your
already showing me.

On Tue, 2006-05-23 at 09:51 -0500, Greg D. wrote:

> <%= render_template 'rhtml', @content.body %>

Charlie B.
http://www.recentrambles.com
Simen (Guest)
on 2006-05-23 19:37
Charlie B. wrote:
> I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at.  Currently I pull the
> post from the database, pass it to a template and the text is displayed.
> How could I embed a small block of code in that text that instead of
> being displayed, it will be executed?  Forgive me if that's what your
> already showing me.
>
> On Tue, 2006-05-23 at 09:51 -0500, Greg D. wrote:
>

>> <%= render_template 'rhtml', @content.body %>
>>

> Charlie B.
> http://www.recentrambles.com

Use eval:

  <%= eval(@your_code_block) %>

It's a Ruby method that evaluates a string.
Charlie B. (Guest)
what if I"m only evaling part of the blog post.  Would I need to store
the executable code in a seperate field?  I wouldn't want to eval the
entire post.

On Tue, 2006-05-23 at 17:37 +0200, Simen wrote:

> >> <%= render_template 'rhtml', @content.body %>
> It's a Ruby method that evaluates a string.
Charlie B.
http://www.recentrambles.com
Greg D. (Guest)
On 5/23/06, Charlie B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>  I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at.  Currently I pull the post from
> the database, pass it to a template and the text is displayed.  How could I embed a
> small block of code in that text that instead of being displayed, it will be executed?
> Forgive me if that's what your already showing me.

render_template will evaluate any embedded code you include.
Magnus H. (Guest)
on 2006-05-23 20:22
First put all the Ruby code that shall be executable into a tag:
<ruby>
list = [1, 2, 3]
list.each do |one|
print one
end
</ruby>

So use a simple regex:
@blog.content = @blog.content.gsub(/\<ruby\>(.*?)\<\/ruby\>/) do |match|
match = eval($1)

Judofyr
Charlie B. (Guest)
Thanks, that will work perfectly!  So simple, it went right over my
head!

On Tue, 2006-05-23 at 18:22 +0200, Magnus H. wrote:

> match = eval($1)
> end
>
> --
>
> Judofyr