Forum: Ruby Mongrel 0.3.13 Pre-Release Update -- Yep, Again

Zed S. (Guest)
Hi Folks,

This is another pre-release announcement with lots of goodies for people
to test and play with.  At this rate the 0.3.13 release may just turn
into 0.4.

GETTING IT

Pretty simple, just gem install mongrel
--source=http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/releases/

You can get more information at http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/

WHAT'S IN IT

This release has lots of little things, mostly stuff related to the list
of bugs and feature requests in the tracker:

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?group_id=1306

I've carved the bug/feature list down to 13 out of 51 reported defects.
The important fixes and improvements are:

* Improved test coverage:  http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/coverage/ but no
real additional bugs found.
* A statistics and status handler for folks to play with.  I'll have to
document this later, but if you're interested check out
examples/simpletest.rb or the test/test_handlers.rb
* A DeflateFilter that you can add to the end of a handler chain and get
deflate encoding if the client supports it or optionally always.  Again,
not documented yet, so the brave will have to see the samples or tests.
* Newest rcov with the built-in rake task.
* Bug 4414 -- no more PID files getting clobbered.
* Applied user:group change patch from Bradley Taylor.
* Updated the Pound documentation from Austin Godber, corrections from
Rui Lopes.
* Bug 4473 -- DirHandler escapes file paths correctly and will write
directory listings with proper ending /.
* Bug 4477 -- HttpResponse.send_file wasn't indicating that the response
body is complete.
* Removal of some chatty error messages.
* Lots of little build and test harness tweaks.

TESTING IT

There has been one report of someone on FreeBSD seeing 0.3.13
pre-release of Mongrel being slower that 0.3.12.4 by a huge margin.  I
don't have the same results--in fact, 0.3.13 is faster by about 25%.
Please test this and let me know if you have the same discrepancy in
performance between the two versions.

Otherwise, test your applications with this and shoot me feedback.
Michael A. Schoen (Guest)
Zed S. wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> This is another pre-release announcement with lots of goodies for people
> to test and play with.  At this rate the 0.3.13 release may just turn
> into 0.4.

YOU. JUST. ROCK.