Forum: Ruby on Rails Mod_fcgid question: is this normal?

Maarten H. (Guest)
on 2006-05-23 10:32
I installed mod_fcgid yesterday. It works great for my Rails
app. But in my fastcgi.crash.log is constantly get this output:
[23/May/2006:08:12:07 :: 29040] starting
[23/May/2006:08:18:48 :: 29040] asked to terminate immediately
[23/May/2006:08:18:48 :: 29040] terminated by explicit exit
[23/May/2006:08:22:03 :: 29391] starting
It also shows up in the Apache error log. Is this normal? Or
should I be worried?
Tom M. (Guest)
Looks like your Ruby code has an exit command in it?

If so, remove it, handling the exit conditional without
exiting...

--
-- Tom M.
Maarten H. (Guest)
Tom M. wrote:
> Looks like your Ruby code has an exit command in it?
>
> If so, remove it, handling the exit conditional without
> exiting...

What could an exit command look like? I don't remember
ever writing one? What should I look for?

> --
> -- Tom M.
Tom M. (Guest)
On May 23, 2006, at 12:14 AM, Maarten H. wrote:

> Tom M. wrote:
>> Looks like your Ruby code has an exit command in it?
>>
>> If so, remove it, handling the exit conditional without
>> exiting...
>
> What could an exit command look like? I don't remember
> ever writing one? What should I look for?

In it's most common form, it would look like:

   exit

:-)

--
-- Tom M.
Maarten H. (Guest)

Tom M. wrote:
> On May 23, 2006, at 12:14 AM, Maarten H. wrote:
>
>> Tom M. wrote:
>>> Looks like your Ruby code has an exit command in it?
>>>
>>> If so, remove it, handling the exit conditional without
>>> exiting...
>>
>> What could an exit command look like? I don't remember
>> ever writing one? What should I look for?
>
> In it's most common form, it would look like:
>
>    exit
>
> :-)
>
> --
> -- Tom M.
Maarten H. (Guest)
on 2006-05-23 14:11
This is the output from the apache error log:

mod_fcgid process .../dispatcg.fcgi exit (idle timeout) terminated by
calling  exit() return code 0

Can't be good or am I wrong?
Anthony C. (Guest)
Maarten:

I get these messages, too. I am also using Apache and mod_fcgi. I do
not have any exit commands, either. I haven't found an answer, but
will let you know if I find anything. Anyone else have ideas?

Thanks,

-Anthony
Anthony C. (Guest)
Does anyone know the difference between "asked to reload ASAP",
"asked to terminate immediately", and "terminated by explicit exit"
when these phrases are found in fastcgi.crash.log?

e.g.:

[22/May/2006:07:16:28 :: 27060] asked to reload ASAP
[22/May/2006:07:16:36 :: 28350] starting
[22/May/2006:08:46:10 :: 4501] starting
[23/May/2006:07:16:34 :: 4501] asked to terminate immediately
[23/May/2006:07:16:36 :: 4501] terminated by explicit exit
Maarten H. (Guest)
on 2006-05-23 18:40
Great to know I'm not the only one with this issue.
It all works great by the way only these error messages.
Tom M. (Guest)
Oh, I know another possibility.

You can generally set how many hits a fcgi process
takes during its life.

Is it possible that message is issued at the end
of a processes life?

The original message said you were getting these
"constantly" which I (incorrectly) read as "each
hit".

--
-- Tom M.
Maarten H. (Guest)
Tom M. wrote:
> Oh, I know another possibility.
>
> You can generally set how many hits a fcgi process
> takes during its life.
>
> Is it possible that message is issued at the end
> of a processes life?

Yes, it starts up a process with every hit. And if no more
request are received it shuts the process down.

So you read right, and I wrote wrong :-)

> --
> -- Tom M.
Vincent Rowland (Guest)
on 2006-05-24 12:31
I'm having the exact same problem here.
My Apache error_log is filled with these messages.
Maarten H. (Guest)
on 2006-05-24 14:27
Ok, I'm currently experimenting with the following
values in my httpd.conf:
 IPCCommTimeout 120
 IPCConnectTimeout 10
 MaxProcessCount 40
 ProcessLifeTime 86400
 IdleTimeout 1800
 DefaultMaxClassProcessCount 8

So far, I only got a startup notice in my Apache error_log and
no more shutdowns. I'll keep you posted, because my ps aux tells
me the started process has a pretty high memory footprint. The highest
of a the running processes. So I'll keep an eye on that.

Maarten