Forum: Ruby Libxml on Windows?

Marcus A. (Guest)
See it as a small echo to the performance thread...

I want to parse large XML documents. Doing it with REXML is
(unacceptably) slow (more than a minute compared to Java with a couple
of seconds which is perfectly ok). So I was thinking about doing it with
libxml. Well, it seems I need to compile it from C myself etc etc etc...
Is there a ready made gem that works with Windows that don't require me
to install a complete C development environment and build and compile a
number of other libraries first?

I've googled but it's kind of hard to find anything about it. Ends up
with pages refering to Sam Ruby in a Python context (where there seems
to be a perfectly fine .exe for installation of libxml bindings by the
way...)

/Marcus
Lyndon S. (Guest)
If you are using windows you can access MSXML via OLE

cheers
Ross B. (Guest)
On Tue, 2006-05-23 at 09:57 +0900, Marcus A. wrote:
> I've googled but it's kind of hard to find anything about it. Ends up
> with pages refering to Sam Ruby in a Python context (where there seems
> to be a perfectly fine .exe for installation of libxml bindings by the
> way...)

There are pre-built libxml binaries available for libxml2 at:

	http://www.zlatkovic.com/libxml.en.html

Unfortunately, that doesn't free you from having to compile the
libxml-ruby stuff. If anyone on Windows is willing to maintain
precompiled binaries I think we'd be very happy to carry them, but
no-one currently on the project is windows based.
Marcus A. (Guest)
Ross B. skrev:
> There are pre-built libxml binaries available for libxml2 at:
> 	http://www.zlatkovic.com/libxml.en.html
>
> Unfortunately, that doesn't free you from having to compile the
> libxml-ruby stuff. If anyone on Windows is willing to maintain
> precompiled binaries I think we'd be very happy to carry them, but
> no-one currently on the project is windows based.

Sigh, I guess I have to set up an environment then. I did it a couple of
months ago on another computer and I think it barely worked. Is mingw
the way to go or is there something better/simpler (where simple is
something I really like, C compiling/building is something I did at
university 10 years ago...)?

/Marcus