Forum: Ruby Re: Zed and Luis drop the bomb on Ruby's poor performance

Jamal M. (Guest)
What is the current time line for Ruby 2.0 and the byte code compiler?

Jamal
Eric H. (Guest)
On May 22, 2006, at 7:15 AM, Jamal M. wrote:

> What is the current time line for Ruby 2.0 and the byte code compiler?

There are no plans for a byte code compiler.

http://trackmap.robotcoop.com
Kris L. (Guest)
on 2006-05-23 01:29
There is YARV I think that makes bytecode and there is JRuby which at
some point may create bytecode (Java), there is a a .NET project to
allow ruby to compiled to bytecode.

I think YARV is the Ruby 2 VM you are refering to.

On May 22, 2006, at 2:29 PM, Kris L. wrote:

> allow ruby to compiled to bytecode.
>
> I think YARV is the Ruby 2 VM you are refering to.

Byte code interpreter, yes, compiler (something that outputs compiled
ruby files), no.

PS: Don't top post.

A: Yes
Q: Is top-posting bad?
  ? Derek Milhous Zumsteg
Kris L. (Guest)
on 2006-05-23 11:41
I think by bytecode compiler he means something that compiles (ie.
makes) bytecode. Its just mis-worded slightly... He said ruby 2 and that
is supposed to support bytecode, were on 1.9 now, so not long to go :)

Eric H. wrote:
> On May 22, 2006, at 2:29 PM, Kris L. wrote:
>
>> allow ruby to compiled to bytecode.
>>
>> I think YARV is the Ruby 2 VM you are refering to.
>
> Byte code interpreter, yes, compiler (something that outputs compiled
> ruby files), no.
>
> PS: Don't top post.
>
> --
> Eric H. - removed_email_address@domain.invalid - http://blog.segment7.net
>
> A: Yes
> Q: Is top-posting bad?
>   � Derek Milhous Zumsteg
Eric H. (Guest)
On May 23, 2006, at 12:41 AM, Kris L. wrote:
>> PS: Don't top post.
>
> I think by bytecode compiler he means something that compiles (ie.
> makes) bytecode. Its just mis-worded slightly... He said ruby 2 and
> that
> is supposed to support bytecode, were on 1.9 now, so not long to go :)

$ ruby-yarv -v
ruby 2.0.0 (Base: Ruby 1.9.0 2006-04-08) [powerpc-darwin8.6.0]
YARVCore 0.4.0 Rev: 497 (2006-05-07) [opts: ]

PS: Don't top post, no, really.

A: Yes
Q: Is top-posting bad?
  ? Derek Milhous Zumsteg
Dave H. (Guest)
On May 22, 2006, at 15:25, Eric H. wrote:

> PS: Don't top post.

And I was all ready to ask "What's top posting?" but happily finished
reading the message...

> A: Yes
> Q: Is top-posting bad?
>  ? Derek Milhous Zumsteg

What an incredibly elegant example. I love it. Although I personally
will not adopt the jargon, but will still admonish others merely to not
post the answer to somebody's question before posting the quoted
question. Mostly 'cause I probably won't remember the term next time I
need it.

And yes, this is a 97% content-free posting, but I just couldn't resist
jumping up and down, pointing at the example, and going "ook! ook!"