Forum: Ruby on Rails Syntax error when running dispatch.cgi

Carsten G. (Guest)

when I execute dispatch.cgi at the command line, I get the following
error message:

[cg@cg rails]$ ./public/dispatch.cgi
./public/dispatch.cgi:3:in `require':
./public/../config/environment.rb:8: syntax error, unexpected '<'
(SyntaxError)
<%= '# ' if freeze %>RAILS_GEM_VERSION = '<%= Rails::VERSION::STRING %>'
 ^      from ./public/dispatch.cgi:3
[cg@cg rails]$

I was asked to install Ruby on Rails on a web server but I don't know
anything about ruby (...), so I'm not sure what it's complaining about.

cg.
Hates_ (Guest)
on 2006-05-22 17:28
Carsten Gaebler wrote:

> <%= '# ' if freeze %>RAILS_GEM_VERSION = '<%= Rails::VERSION::STRING %>'
>  ^      from ./public/dispatch.cgi:3

What are the contents of your config/environment.rb? Sounds like maybe
its got screwed somehow?

Mine has no '<%=' in it at all.
Carsten G. (Guest)
on 2006-05-22 18:33
Hates_ wrote:
> What are the contents of your config/environment.rb? Sounds like maybe
> its got screwed somehow?

[cg@cg config]$ cat environment.rb
# Be sure to restart your web server when you modify this file.

# Uncomment below to force Rails into production mode when
# you don't control web/app server and can't set it the proper way
# ENV['RAILS_ENV'] ||= 'production'

# Specifies gem version of Rails to use when vendor/rails is not present
<%= '# ' if freeze %>RAILS_GEM_VERSION = '<%= Rails::VERSION::STRING %>'

# Bootstrap the Rails environment, frameworks, and default configuration
require File.join(File.dirname(__FILE__), 'boot')

Rails::Initializer.run do |config|
  # Settings in config/environments/* take precedence those specified
here

  # Skip frameworks you're not going to use
  # config.frameworks -= [ :action_web_service, :action_mailer ]

  # Add additional load paths for your own custom dirs
  # config.load_paths += %W( #{RAILS_ROOT}/extras )

  # Force all environments to use the same logger level
  # (by default production uses :info, the others :debug)
  # config.log_level = :debug

  # Use the database for sessions instead of the file system
  # (create the session table with 'rake db:sessions:create')
  # config.action_controller.session_store = :active_record_store

  # Use SQL instead of Active Record's schema dumper when creating the
test database.
  # This is necessary if your schema can't be completely dumped by the
schema dumper,
  # like if you have constraints or database-specific column types
  # config.active_record.schema_format = :sql

  # Activate observers that should always be running
  # config.active_record.observers = :cacher, :garbage_collector

  # Make Active Record use UTC-base instead of local time
  # config.active_record.default_timezone = :utc

  # See Rails::Configuration for more options
end

# Add new inflection rules using the following format
# (all these examples are active by default):
# Inflector.inflections do |inflect|
#   inflect.plural /^(ox)$/i, '\1en'
#   inflect.singular /^(ox)en/i, '\1'
#   inflect.irregular 'person', 'people'
#   inflect.uncountable %w( fish sheep )
# end

# Include your application configuration below
[cg@cg config]$
Hates_ (Guest)
on 2006-05-23 00:44
Doesn't look right to me :S

Mine says, with all the comments taken out:

RAILS_GEM_VERSION = '1.1.2'