Forum: Ruby on Rails flickr like DST timezone management

Leo -. (Guest)
Hello everyone

I wonder if anyone can point me to the library for timezone management
with DST support, which has timezones, like flickr has. I know that
there is TZInfo, but it's a bit different for it has huge list of
available timezones in 'Continent/City' format. I would like my
application to have timezones list more like on flickr (or windows
regional settings) - shorter and grouped by cities with same DST
conditions. Any experience with that?

--
olegf
Philip R. (Guest)
Oleg F. wrote:
> I wonder if anyone can point me to the library for timezone management
> with DST support, which has timezones, like flickr has. I know that
> there is TZInfo, but it's a bit different for it has huge list of
> available timezones in 'Continent/City' format. I would like my
> application to have timezones list more like on flickr (or windows
> regional settings) - shorter and grouped by cities with same DST
> conditions. Any experience with that?

The tzinfo_timezone plugin [1] may do what you are after. It is a
drop-in replacement for the Rails TimeZone class that uses TZInfo to
perform the conversions.

The Rails time_zone_select and time_zone_options_for_select [2] helper
methods will give you a list similar to the flickr timezone list.

  1. http://dev.rubyonrails.org/svn/rails/plugins/tzinf...
  2.
http://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActionView/Help...

--