Forum: Ruby Re: ruby/gnuplot on windows

unknown (Guest)
> So is there no way to view the graph without exporting it to file  and
> then opening it in another program?  By using cygwin you lose  the
>windows option to view the graph interactively?

No, no. What happens if you open a console (click on one of the  Cygwin
icons) and type in

gnuplot

?

Do you get something like

% gnuplot

        G N U P L O T

        Version 4.0 patchlevel 0

        last modified Thu Apr 15 14:44:22 CEST 2004

        System: Linux 2.4.23

        Copyright (C) 1986 - 1993, 1998, 2004

        Thomas W., Colin Kelley and many others

        This is gnuplot version 4.0.  Please refer to the documentation

        for command syntax changes.  The old syntax will be accepted

        throughout the 4.0 series, but all save files use the new
syntax.

        Type `help` to access the on-line reference manual.

        The gnuplot FAQ is available from

                http://www.gnuplot.info/faq/

        Send comments and requests for help to

                <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>

        Send bugs, suggestions and mods to

                <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>

Terminal type set to 'x11'

gnuplot>

so that you can type in things at the '>' ?
If so, then type in
plot sin(x)
, please. What happens then?

Best regards,

Axel
Jon D. (Guest)
on 2006-05-19 12:29
unknown wrote:
>> So is there no way to view the graph without exporting it to file  and
>> then opening it in another program?  By using cygwin you lose  the
>>windows option to view the graph interactively?
>
> No, no. What happens if you open a console (click on one of the  Cygwin
> icons) and type in
>
> gnuplot
>
> ?
>
> Do you get something like
> >
> Terminal type set to 'x11'
>
> gnuplot>

I get terminal type set to 'unknown'.  I tried setting it to xll:

gnuplot>set term x11 ... and I get
Terminal type set to 'x11'
Options are '0'
gnuplot>
gnuplot: unable to open display ''
gnuplot: X11 aborted

The base package of x11 was installed with the default install of
cygwin.  Am I missing something?

jon