Forum: Ruby Annotated Ruby API Docs

Justin B. (Guest)
I don't think anyone on the list has noticed this yet, but someone has
put
up a new Ruby API site that allows user annotations, much like the
php.netsite. I love
ruby-doc.org, but I have to say the API wiki doesn't work for me. I've
never
found content on it the few times I've clicked, and since there is no
indcation in the documents what MIGHT have content, I've got little
incentive to go and look. I think this solution is very slick, and whats
more its based on a project called RAnnonate.

http://ruby.outertrack.com/

Justin
Steven H. (Guest)
That is slick!  It would be great if RoR docs had that feature!
unknown (Guest)
> That is slick!  It would be great if RoR docs had that feature!

You mean like?

    http://rails.outertrack.com/
Bill G. (Guest)
On 5/18/06, Justin B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> I don't think anyone on the list has noticed this yet, but someone has put
> up a new Ruby API site that allows user annotations, much like the
> php.netsite. I love
> ruby-doc.org, but I have to say the API wiki doesn't work for me. I've never
> found content on it the few times I've clicked, and since there is no
> indcation in the documents what MIGHT have content, I've got little
> incentive to go and look. I think this solution is very slick, and whats
> more its based on a project called RAnnonate.
>
> http://ruby.outertrack.com/

Absolutely amazing.  I had suggested this for the Summer of Code (many
others had suggested it before me), but didn't think we'd have one
this soon.  It's gorgeous.

A huge thank you to Conor, Jamis, Matias, and Justin.
Steven H. (Guest)
Yes, exactly like that :-) .  *Bookmarked*
Gregory B. (Guest)
On 5/18/06, Bill G. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> Absolutely amazing.  I had suggested this for the Summer of Code (many
> others had suggested it before me), but didn't think we'd have one
> this soon.  It's gorgeous.

I saw this a few months ago at a NYC.rb meeting

I just had assumed it had been publicly announced already, otherwise I
would have thrown a link.
Steven H. (Guest)
Recently there has been a big push by the rails devs to get users to
contribute documentation to the API.  I am all for this!  However,
adding documentation is like submitting a patch.  To me, it seems like
pushing people towards:

http://rails.outertrack.com/

would be more productive as it makes adding documentation much easier.
Phil H. (Guest)
Steven H. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> writes:

> That is slick!  It would be great if RoR docs had that feature!

You can always hoodwink.

-Phil H.
Bill G. (Guest)
On 5/18/06, Gregory B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> On 5/18/06, Bill G. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Absolutely amazing.  I had suggested this for the Summer of Code (many
> > others had suggested it before me), but didn't think we'd have one
> > this soon.  It's gorgeous.
>
> I saw this a few months ago at a NYC.rb meeting
>
> I just had assumed it had been publicly announced already, otherwise I
> would have thrown a link.

It seems you're right.  It's been discussed since late last year, and
announced 2 days ago, but only on the Rails list (which I haven't been
reading lately).
http://rubyurl.com/v9u
James B. (Guest)
Phil H. wrote:
> Steven H. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> writes:
>

>>That is slick!  It would be great if RoR docs had that feature!
>

> You can always hoodwink.

True for ruby-doc.org, too.

--
James B.

http://yourelevatorpitch.com  - Finding Business Focus
Pistos C. (Guest)
on 2006-05-19 17:15
Justin B. wrote:
> http://ruby.outertrack.com/

Looks like it had/has parser/generator problems.  Example:

http://ruby.outertrack.com/class/String/chomp

Pistos