Forum: Ruby on Rails How do you delete a session variable?

Alder G. (Guest)
Hi

Let's say we set session[:foo] = 'bar'. Now we want to remove the :foo
key completely. How do you do that?

Appearantly, session is a CGI::Session [1] instance, so it doesn't
have #delete like Hash. I tried:

session[:foo] = nil

But then debug(session) shows an empty :foo key. I'd like to remove
that key, as my session is already pretty crowded. Is it possible?

--
-Alder

[1] http://ruby-doc.org/core/classes/CGI/Session.html
Richard W. (Guest)
On Thursday, May 18, 2006, at 11:56 AM, Alder G. wrote:
>But then debug(session) shows an empty :foo key. I'd like to remove
>that key, as my session is already pretty crowded. Is it possible?
>
>--
>-Alder
>
>[1] http://ruby-doc.org/core/classes/CGI/Session.html

Will session.delete["foo"] work?
Chris H. (Guest)
see http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/HowtoWorkW... for
your
answer.

On 18 May 2006 14:44:35 -0000, Richard W. <
Alder G. (Guest)
On 18 May 2006 14:44:35 -0000, Richard W.
> >session[:foo] = nil
> >removed_email_address@domain.invalid
>

> Will session.delete["foo"] work?

No, since the object returned by #session isn't a Hash - it's a
Hash-like instance of CGI::Session. So it doesn't have the various
Hash intance methods. It does have a #hash method btw, but it does
something entirely different ("Delete the session from storage. Also
closes the storage.")
Alder G. (Guest)
On 5/18/06, Chris H. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> see
> http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/HowtoWorkW...
> for your answer.

"
Completely removing a previously-set key/value pair:
[not possible]
"

Ok, guess it's better than no answer :)

Thanks.