Forum: Ruby on Rails What IDE can be used with InstantRails

Ling (Guest)
on 2006-05-18 13:54
What IDE can be used with InstantRails

I have installed â??InstantRails-1.3a-winâ? on my PC.

When I first started the InstantRails, an error message said something
about unable to start Apache because Port 80 being used by another
process. I went to change the Apache Port 80 and List 80 to Port 4001
and Listen 4001 respectively.

I was ratrher pleased that â??phpmyadminâ? was working at
http://127.0.0.1:4001/mysql/.

Next, I installed the â??radrails-0.6.2-win32â?.

I found that the radRails IDE is not working with the InstantRails.

Is there any free IDE out there that can work together with the
InstantRails?

Ling
Curt H. (Guest)
On 5/18/06, Ling <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> I was ratrher pleased that "phpmyadmin" was working at
> http://127.0.0.1:4001/mysql/.
>
> Next, I installed the "radrails-0.6.2-win32".
>
> I found that the radRails IDE is not working with the InstantRails.
>
> Is there any free IDE out there that can work together with the
> InstantRails?
>
> Ling

I use RadRails with Instant Rails every day.

After you install RadRails, you need to configure it to use the Ruby
interpreter contained within Instant Rails:

  Window>Prefreences>Ruby>Installed Interpreters>Add

and

   Window>Prefreences>Ruby>Installed Interpreters>Ri/rdoc

Curt
Ling (Guest)
on 2006-05-18 22:43
Thanks.

As I donâ??t have good foundations in programming, I need to ask some
stupid questions:

>  Window>Prefreences>Ruby>Installed Interpreters>Add

There are ruby.exe and rubyw.exe.
Which shall I use?
I have tried both ruby.exe and rubyw.exe as the interpeter and neither
seem to work.

>	Window>Prefreences>Ruby>Installed Interpreters>Ri/rdoc

Shall I choose Rdoc.bat & Ri.bat respectively?
I have tried both types available in the directory, and neither seem to
work.

Unfortunately, after trying all these, RadRails is still not working.
First, the Webrick wonâ??t start.

Next, I canâ??t create the codes with the Generators, under Models, Views,
or Controllers.

When I switched to the Data Navigator, no tree can be seen beside the 3
items: Development, Test, Production.

Regards,

Ling

Curt H. wrote:
> I use RadRails with Instant Rails every day.
>
> After you install RadRails, you need to configure it to use the Ruby
> interpreter contained within Instant Rails:
>
>   Window>Prefreences>Ruby>Installed Interpreters>Add
>
> and
>
>    Window>Prefreences>Ruby>Installed Interpreters>Ri/rdoc
>
> Curt
Curt H. (Guest)
On 5/18/06, Ling <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Which shall I use?
Use *<InstantRails>*\ruby\bin\ruby.exe

I have tried both ruby.exe and rubyw.exe as the interpeter and neither
> seem to work.
>
> >       Window>Prefreences>Ruby>Installed Interpreters>Ri/rdoc
> >

> Shall I choose Rdoc.bat & Ri.bat respectively?

Use the files with no extension:

   *<InstantRails>*\ruby\bin\ri
   *<InstantRails>*\ruby\bin\rdoc

Curt

I have tried both types available in the directory, and neither seem to
Ling (Guest)
on 2006-05-20 11:34
Thanks, Curt.

After making the changes, RadRails and InstantRails could work together.

Now I am able to use phpAdmin database to create the database & tables,
RadRails to create RoR projects, webrick & generator to do the
scaffolds, and the webrick to display the app and do the CRUD
functionalities.

Thanks for your advice.

Somehow, after I tried to delete the RoR projects, switched to anothr
partitioned drive and tried to build the projects, every thing seemed to
break down and nothing worked.

So, I deleted every thing, re-installed in a new Windows XP, and visited
the website http://instantrails.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?FAQ and
followed some more tips.

The apps seem to be working now, and I won't disturb them for a while.

Regards,

Ling.

Curt H. wrote:
> On 5/18/06, Ling <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>> Which shall I use?
> Use *<InstantRails>*\ruby\bin\ruby.exe
>
> I have tried both ruby.exe and rubyw.exe as the interpeter and neither
>> seem to work.
>>
>> >       Window>Prefreences>Ruby>Installed Interpreters>Ri/rdoc
>> >

>> Shall I choose Rdoc.bat & Ri.bat respectively?
>

> Use the files with no extension:
>
>    *<InstantRails>*\ruby\bin\ri
>    *<InstantRails>*\ruby\bin\rdoc
>
> Curt
>
> I have tried both types available in the directory, and neither seem to
Andre T. (Guest)
Ling,

In the future in your Rails adventures, it may sound wierd, but you
might
want to do a little reading up on sqlite. You could then just install
Ruby,
the sqlite gem and whatever other sqlite stuff you wanted, configure
RadRails to know where Ruby and RDoc were (likely C:\ruby\bin). Then use
webrick from within RadRails or commandline, or even grab mongrel (if
so,
see http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/docs/started.html   and
http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/docs/win32.html) and use that instead of
Webrick. There's prolly a simple way to tell RadRails to fire up
mongrel_rails instead of webrick, but I haven't looked.

Then you'd have an functional rails development environment, without
having
to contend with bunch-o-server-apps just to get database and web server
functionality.

-Andre

On 5/20/06, Ling <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Thanks for your advice.
>
> > I have tried both ruby.exe and rubyw.exe as the interpeter and neither
> >    *<InstantRails>*\ruby\bin\ri
> Rails mailing list
> removed_email_address@domain.invalid

======================
andre turpin

em: removed_email_address@domain.invalid
ph: 867-874-5819
Ling (Guest)
on 2006-05-21 11:04
Thank you, Andre.

I have some experience in using the stored procedures, user-deined
functions, and transactions in (ms) SQL 2000, but completely new (nil
expeience) in mysql.

I see that these are also present in mySQL 5.0.

I wonder if these are also present in sqlite?

Question:

Suppose I need to install RoR and mySQL 5.0, are there any IDE that can
bridge the 2 packages, similar to mySQLFront or phpmyadmin?

I have seen phpmyadmin packaged in InstantRails. Can we down load
phpmyadmin on it own and make it work between RoR & mySql?

Regards,

Ling.

Andre T. wrote:
> Ling,
>
> In the future in your Rails adventures, it may sound wierd, but you
> might
> want to do a little reading up on sqlite. You could then just install
> Ruby,
> the sqlite gem and whatever other sqlite stuff you wanted, configure
> RadRails to know where Ruby and RDoc were (likely C:\ruby\bin). Then use
> webrick from within RadRails or commandline, or even grab mongrel (if
> so,
> see http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/docs/started.html   and
> http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/docs/win32.html) and use that instead of
> Webrick. There's prolly a simple way to tell RadRails to fire up
> mongrel_rails instead of webrick, but I haven't looked.
>
> Then you'd have an functional rails development environment, without
> having
> to contend with bunch-o-server-apps just to get database and web server
> functionality.
>
> -Andre
>
> On 5/20/06, Ling <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>> Thanks for your advice.
>>
>> > I have tried both ruby.exe and rubyw.exe as the interpeter and neither
>> >    *<InstantRails>*\ruby\bin\ri
>> Rails mailing list
>> removed_email_address@domain.invalid
>>

> --
sqlite is for making your life easy while developing. It has no stored
porcedures (nobody uses stored procedures in rails anyway). With sqlite
you
don't need any admin panel (you browse your data directly from the rails
console adn you use migrations for updating the schemas), and the best,
you
don't even need to create a database, it's all done on the fly, when
first
accessing the db.

regards
Roberto
Ling (Guest)
on 2006-05-21 13:29
Thanks. Roberto.

I am quite new in RoR. So far, I am quite confused and I haven't really
got started, being entangled and trapped in the basics.

Let's say I adopt the sqlite.

What other packages do I need?

ruby184-17_rc2
jre-1_5_0_06-windows-i586-p-iftw
sqlite
phpmyadmin
Apache
php
???
SQLite Database Browser
Trolltech's QT (Not free)

I haven't downloaded php, phpmyadmin, or Apache and the rest yet.

My, ...

Regards,

Ling.

Roberto S. wrote:
> sqlite is for making your life easy while developing. It has no stored
> porcedures (nobody uses stored procedures in rails anyway). With sqlite
> you
> don't need any admin panel (you browse your data directly from the rails
> console adn you use migrations for updating the schemas), and the best,
> you
> don't even need to create a database, it's all done on the fly, when
> first
> accessing the db.
>
> regards
> Roberto
Roberto S. (Guest)
see my commetns inline

Let's say I adopt the sqlite.

> What other packages do I need?
>
> ruby184-17_rc2

yes

jre-1_5_0_06-windows-i586-p-iftw

yes if you use radrails

sqlite

yes

phpmyadmin

not neccesary

Apache

not neccesary  (use ues webbrick or mongrel, it's mudh simpler)

php

not neccesary

???
> SQLite Database Browser

(unfortunatly  for sqlite/radrails/windows there is no easy to installl
jdbc
driver for the integrated radrails database browser, but you can browse
objects directly via console, it's kind of commandline,  super simple,
you
will love it)

Trolltech's QT (Not free)

> why do you think you need need that ?

regards
Ling (Guest)
on 2006-05-21 19:03
Thanks, Roberto.

I am now making use of the InstantRails package that has everything:
Ruby, Gem, Rails, Apache, Phpmyadmin, mySql, plus RadRails with some
modifications.

1.	First, I install InstantRails to the folder D:\InstantRails,
using InstantRails-1.3a-win
2.	Next, I install Ruby1.8.4 into the folder D:\InstantRails\Ruby,
using ruby-1.8.4-i386-mswin32
3.	And then I install Rails using command
â??Gem install rails â??remoteâ?
4.	Next I install MySQL 5.0 into D:\Program Files\MySQL\
5.	Then I delete the contents of D:\InstantRails\MySQL and move similar
contents from mySQL 5.0 folders to D:\InstantRails\MySQL
6.	As some file couldnâ??t be moved, I re-install the mySql 5.0, using
option â??modifyâ?
7.	I also amend the â??use_ruby.cmdâ? and save it into D:\Windows\System32\
CD D:\InstantRails
PATH D:\InstantRails\ruby\lib;D:\InstantRails\ruby\bin;D:\Program
Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0\bin;%PATH%
cd D:\www\webroot
dir
8.	After that I install RadRails into D:\InstantRails\
9.	And also set the Ruby Interpreter and Rdoc and Ri as Curt suggested

With this combination, I can now use the latest versions of Ruby, Rails,
and MySQL, and at the same time, make use of RadRails, and with it
Webrick, and Apache, and phpMyAdmin.

So I can use command line codes, migration codes, and also GUI.

I think I would stick to these for a while, at least at the development
stage When I come to the production stage, I would learn to install the
other software packages.

Cheers,

Ling.