Forum: Ruby on Rails Newbie: Looking for a good starting reference

mausolos (Guest)
So I finally got everything up and running, and I've seen some "magical"
stuff in tutorials bragging how easy and wonderful Rails is (and I
believe
it, for the most part).  What I need now is a reference, a site or a
book,
that respects that I know a thing or two about app development and
programming, but not necessarily anything about models, classes and
controllers.  I want a conceptual walk through of the big terms I might
not
necessarily know, how they're applied, and then into specifics about how
and
when I'd want to use them.  Of course, I don't have much money, so I'd
take
a website over a book, but it's a little overwhelming.. references I've
found range anywhere from very limited, narrow tutorials to way too
advanced, assuming you know more than I know stuff.

Any ideas?
Nick C. (Guest)
on 2006-05-18 22:03
Have a look at http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/title/rails/

Get the 2nd edition pdf. Its the best intro to Rails out there.

Nic.

mausolos wrote:
> So I finally got everything up and running, and I've seen some "magical"
> stuff in tutorials bragging how easy and wonderful Rails is (and I
> believe
> it, for the most part).  What I need now is a reference, a site or a
> book,
> that respects that I know a thing or two about app development and
> programming, but not necessarily anything about models, classes and
> controllers.  I want a conceptual walk through of the big terms I might
> not
> necessarily know, how they're applied, and then into specifics about how
> and
> when I'd want to use them.  Of course, I don't have much money, so I'd
> take
> a website over a book, but it's a little overwhelming.. references I've
> found range anywhere from very limited, narrow tutorials to way too
> advanced, assuming you know more than I know stuff.
>
> Any ideas?
Dave Pawson (Guest)
On 18/05/06, Nick C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Have a look at http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/title/rails/
>
> Get the 2nd edition pdf. Its the best intro to Rails out there.

I don't know about best.

It is very well written.
It is clear.
It is a good 'sales' book.