Forum: Ruby on Rails RE: IDE recommendations?

Marcus B. (Guest)
I agree Ross.  I am a Vim junkie, but when you are new to a
language/library, having that list of methods/properties can't be beat.
Especially when the function signature is right there too...
Nick F. (Guest)
I've been using Komodo and TextMate on OS X.

Komodo has the best debugger I can find for a Ruby IDE on OS X. It seems
to slow a bit with larger Rails projects though.

I go to TextMate occasionally when the usability of Komodo falls short
in one or two areas.

Nick
Mark G. (Guest)
Marcus B. wrote:
> I agree Ross.  I am a Vim junkie, but when you are new to a
> language/library, having that list of methods/properties can't be beat.
> Especially when the function signature is right there too...

Currently available in Vim7, in addition there is a snippet (TextMate
macro) plugin which allows you to use textmate macros in vim.
Vim's omni-completion operates on the current buffer and uses ruby to
interrogate the classes and variables, it gets its info from the
interpreter not a static list.
Check it out, vim tends to grow on you. I'll see about packaging up my
win32 bins w/ ruby support as the main distro does not seem to have ruby
support compiled in.
Screenshots of completion:
http://blog.hasno.info/blog/segfault/dev/2006/04/1...
SnippetMagic link:
http://blog.rosejn.net/articles/2006/02/28/snippetmagic-0-02
  --mark
Mark G. (Guest)
Mark G. wrote:
> Vim 7 compiled with Ruby apparently can have autocomplete but I'm yet to
> a) compile it on Win32 or b) find a compiled version with Ruby embedded.
> Vim is not for the timid though.  Throw a novice at most editors and
> without help they could create a text document.  This is not really the
> case with Vim it has an almost vertical learning curve until you "get
> it".
>
> Ross

Done. I've built vim7 for w32 w/ ruby, python, multibyte, ime and HUGE.
Its optimized for i686 SSE2.
Available at
http://blog.hasno.info/blog/segfault/dev/2006/05/1...
  --mark

--
sic transit gloria et adulescentia
blog | http://blog.hasno.info/blog

1. Jedit can look good:
http://www.bdcsoftware.com/development/rubyonrails...
http://www.bdcsoftware.com/dev_rubyonrails_dreamwe...

2. SuperAbbrv for Jedit are in my opinion better then text mate
3. Jedit does have ruby class completion

But, the one IDE I am holding my breath for is:
http://www.sapphiresteel.com/