Forum: Ruby Ruby for Rails Rocks!

David P. (Guest)
Folks,

Just finished reading (okay, skimming) Ruby for Rails.

It's an excellent choice for someone who is new to Ruby and new to
Rails.

Props to David Black for writing such an excellent book.

It is definitely worth buying.

Thanks,

David
Eric A. (Guest)
David P. wrote:

> Just finished reading (okay, skimming) Ruby for Rails.
> It's an excellent choice for someone who is new to Ruby and new to Rails.
> Props to David Black for writing such an excellent book.
> It is definitely worth buying.

I have to add my kudos, as well. It's a spectacular effort.

For a practicing designer and developer, this book is an
ideal introduction to both Ruby /and/ Rails.

The content list looked good enough to buy it--especially
since, as someone wrote elsewhere, it spends a fair amount
of time on "those interesting language features you wish you
understood a little better".

So I was excited to crack the covers. But when I started
reading it, I was even more impressed. It's beautifully
written, and brilliantly sequenced.

It's hard to imagine how much effort went into sequencing
the material. Here's a small example:

   In the section that introduces IRB in Chapter 1,
   the author sneaks in the little tidbit that an
   assignment is an expression that has a value. That
   point will undoubtedly become important later on, when
   more advanced concepts are discussed, so I was struck by
   how adroitly the concept was presented early on--
   innocuously, almost innocently.

In short, it's a book I wish I had written. But I'm glad
that I have it to read.
Giles B. (Guest)
ditto, it's very good