IDE recommendations?

I was wondering if there are any IDEs out there that has autocomplete
features for win32.

It would be perfect if it could do something akin to what DHH is doing
on the screencast hosted on the rails website.
http://media.rubyonrails.org/video/rails_take2_with_sound.mov

Cheers

To get close to what DHH is doing there I recomend Ultra Edit. It has
autocomplete and macros so feature wise it’s the closest to TextMate.

There are Ruby word files but you might want to add to it some rails
specific actions. But it’s easy to add.

On 5/17/06, Ken K. [email protected] wrote:

Rails mailing list

Thanks for such quick replies! I am looking at Komodo right now. I have
tried radrails but they haven’t done the autocomplete feature yet.

Have you checked out Komodo? (http://www.activestate.com/)
It’s pretty nice…not sure about auto complete though…

On 5/17/06, Ken K. [email protected] wrote:

I was wondering if there are any IDEs out there that has autocomplete
features for win32.

RadRails / Eclipse is probably the closest you’re going to get. I
expect those projects will include auto-complete in the near future…
Some have stated that they like ArachnoRuby. I’m doing very well
with RadRails.

But the best option would be to purchase a dual-core Mac (Mini or
MacBook) and develop on OS X…dual-booting into Windows when
neccessary (or another nice option mentioned has been virtualization
software which can run windows inside OS X). Then you can have
TextMate… :slight_smile: I realize this is probably not a viable option for
most, but it’s the final straw in my Switch. :slight_smile:

Jon Gretar B. wrote:

To get close to what DHH is doing there I recomend Ultra Edit. It has
autocomplete and macros so feature wise it’s the closest to TextMate.

In my opinion (as TextMate user) it does not even come close. Probably
Komodo is the best option on windows (even if it’s quite different from
TM).

blog: http://www.akropolix.net/rik0/blogs |
site: http://www.akropolix.net/rik0/ |
forum: http://www.akropolix.net/forum/ |

Curtis wrote:

But the best option would be to purchase a dual-core Mac (Mini or
MacBook) and develop on OS X…dual-booting into Windows when
neccessary (or another nice option mentioned has been virtualization
software which can run windows inside OS X). Then you can have
TextMate… :slight_smile: I realize this is probably not a viable option for
most, but it’s the final straw in my Switch. :slight_smile:

I was going to suggest something similar, too. :slight_smile:

blog: http://www.akropolix.net/rik0/blogs |
site: http://www.akropolix.net/rik0/ |
forum: http://www.akropolix.net/forum/ |

On 5/17/06, Ken K. [email protected] wrote:

Cheers guys

Perhaps I should just switch to Macs.
I was looking into a mac mini anyway :D.

:: drools :: I feel your pain… I’ve been “looking into one” for a
good long time. :slight_smile: I just need to take the six hundred bucks and buy
the blasted thing. However, this thread has been good…Komodo and
jEdit look like viable solutions as well. It will come down to try a
few and pick what works best for you. :slight_smile:

Jón Borgþórsson wrote:

To get close to what DHH is doing there I recomend Ultra Edit. It has
autocomplete and macros so feature wise it’s the closest to TextMate.

I think Jedit with Rubyjedit plugin and SuperAbbrev plugin is closest to
TextMate. You don’t even have to add Rails specific abbrevs - they are
already there.

Radrails takes longer to save a file to the harddrive on my laptop than
it takes to ftp
the same file to the other end of the world.
Radrails also lacks some basic text editing functions such as a function
finder or tags
and selection of text by column. I started using it and it has a nice
look so I’m keeping
it for a while. I think that jedit, tho very ugly, is faster and has
nice enough
features. For straight text editing the scite that comes with ruby is
very fast.
Radrails is huge. For such a large program it ought to have more
features. Emacs is
faster and has more features but is ugly and uncomfortable in comparison
to a modern gui…

Radrails does have good syntax coloring of rhtml files, though. The
ruby/html mix does
not confuse it.

If you want to see a modern cross-reference facility look at slickedit
or source-insight.
You put your mouse on a function call and the source code for the
function pops up in a
sub-panel on the screen. So you can see it. Tags is an ancient wooden
machine by
comparison.

Imagine you put your mouse over a call to a rails method and the
ActiveRecord source code
pops up in a panel.

Warren S.

Out of sheer curiosity how is spending $2000+ on a computer the best
option
for somebody looking for a good IDE?

Rob

You don’t exactly have to spend $2000. :slight_smile:
$599 for a desktop or $1099 if you want a laptop. People have spent
more than that searching for a good development enviroment. :wink:

On 5/17/06, Rob M. [email protected] wrote:

most, but it’s the final straw in my Switch. :slight_smile:
http://www.migrob.com

Rails mailing list

On 5/17/06, Rob M. [email protected] wrote:

Out of sheer curiosity how is spending $2000+ on a computer the best option
for somebody looking for a good IDE?

Good Lordy! Where have you been pricing your Mac Minis? You can get
a decent one that connects to an existing video monitor for about
$599. Personally, I would toss additional RAM into it, but that might
just be my World of Warcraft addiction speaking… :: cough ::

And everyone knows that WoW is a required plugin for any IDE… Or,
well, mebbe that’s just me…

I spent $3000+ on a Mac Mini, and a MacBook Pro in search of a good
IDE and for every new time-saving shortcut I discover in TextMate I
pat myself on the back for having gone through this option. =D

Cesar

And everyone knows that WoW is a required plugin for any IDE… Or,
well, mebbe that’s just me…
__

Nahh. … Required…

Is there anyone here using Komodo Professional for Rails work? Just
curious
because I can’t stand it. I tried it for a week’s work and the biggest
setback for me is the slow interface. The interface is very
unresponsive.
The built-in subversion client is a joke, and you can’t even do 2-pane
diffs. Adding/removing files to the project is also quite a chore, as
the
application doesn’t detect new files in the file system. You have to
manually add each one through File | Add File. Another thing about is
despite the massive amount of bugs in their online tracking system,
Activestate only managed to release a 0.0.1 revision in eight months.

“Brian Chamberlain” [email protected]
wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Have you checked out Komodo? (http://www.activestate.com/)
It’s pretty nice…not sure about auto complete though…

On 5/17/06, Ken K. [email protected] wrote:
I was wondering if there are any IDEs out there that has autocomplete
features for win32.

It would be perfect if it could do something akin to what DHH is doing
on the screencast hosted on the rails website.
http://media.rubyonrails.org/video/rails_take2_with_sound.mov

Cheers

Rails mailing list

Rails mailing list

Emacs is
faster and has more features but is ugly and uncomfortable in comparison
to a modern gui…

huh? emacs uses XFT/GTK2, which pretty much defines ‘modern gui’. tell
me how to disable font hinting on Windows, or enable it on MacOSX
(impossible?). you can split a window into multiple panes and dedicate
one to log tail, one to firefox, one to bash, one to editing… do other
‘modern gui’ editors allow this?

rails.el is great… of course syntax highlighting for every file on my
system ive ever opened is cool too. if it wasnt free i’d pay hmm…
$131?

theres another rails mode for emacs out there, arorem. anyone tried it?

I think I agree with you. SuperAbbrev seems like what I’m looking for,
plus jedit has a lighter footprint than komodo or radrails.

satm wrote:

Jón Borgþórsson wrote:

To get close to what DHH is doing there I recomend Ultra Edit. It has
autocomplete and macros so feature wise it’s the closest to TextMate.

I think Jedit with Rubyjedit plugin and SuperAbbrev plugin is closest to
TextMate. You don’t even have to add Rails specific abbrevs - they are
already there.

Hey Cesar, you can get both machines for less that $2000 (i.e. Mac mini
and
MacBook). If you’re more mobile, then I would simple get a laptop.

Peace,

-Conrad