Forum: Ruby on Rails Capistrano: Skipping require of dynamic string

Binil Thomas (Guest)
on 2006-05-17 14:52
Hi all,

I am starting out to play with capistrano. I installed the capistrano
gem, and I got some messages. I am not sure if these are errors,
warnings or just status messages.I hope someone here can help me
understand these messages, so that I don't suspect Capistrano
installation if I run into issues further down. :-)

binil$ gem install -r capistrano
Attempting remote installation of 'capistrano'
Install required dependency net-ssh? [Yn]  Y
Install required dependency needle? [Yn]  Y
Install required dependency net-sftp? [Yn]  Y
Successfully installed capistrano-1.1.0
Successfully installed net-ssh-1.0.9
Successfully installed needle-1.3.0
Successfully installed net-sftp-1.1.0
Installing RDoc documentation for net-ssh-1.0.9...

lib/net/ssh/transport/ossl/hmac/services.rb:31:63: Skipping require of
dynamic string: "net/ssh/transport/ossl/hmac/#{name}"
Installing RDoc documentation for needle-1.3.0...
Installing RDoc documentation for net-sftp-1.1.0...

lib/net/sftp/operations/services.rb:32:63: Skipping require of dynamic
string: "net/sftp/operations/#{array ? op.last : op}"

lib/net/sftp/protocol/services.rb:33:59: Skipping require of dynamic
string: "net/sftp/protocol/#{version}/services"

cap -h works, so I am assuming that the install worked; nonetheless, I
would like to understand these messages better.

Thanks,
Binil
Jamis B. (Guest)
Binil,

That's just rdoc being noisy. You can ignore all of those messages.
They are, unfortunately, nothing that either gem or capistrano can do
anything about. It'll require rdoc to be "fixed". In the meantime,
the messages are simply informational--rdoc simply saying "this
string is constructed at runtime so I can't follow it to determine
the target file."

- Jamis
Binil Thomas (Guest)
on 2006-05-18 11:52
Jamis B. wrote:
> That's just rdoc being noisy.

Thanks Jamis! Capistrano now _almost_ works for my simple deployment
needs.

When I invoke 'rake remote:migrate' Capistrano ensures that the
RAILS_ENV is set to production. But when I invoke 'rake remote:deploy'
it does not seem to ensure that the environment is set to production - I
get an error:

> Mysql::Error in XXXController#XXX
> Unknown database 'XXX_development'
> RAILS_ROOT: /var/www/XXX/current/public/../config/..

I am using Apache 1.3 + FastCGI on Linux.

I use CVS for SCM. Should I be changing the CVS copy of environment.rb
file to ENV['RAILS_ENV'] ||= 'production'? I am reluctant to do this;
when some developer checks out the code, they would prefer the
environment to be development. Kindly let me know if Capistrano has a
better way to handle this.

Thanks,
Binil
Binil Thomas (Guest)
on 2006-05-18 12:03
Binil Thomas wrote:
> Should I be changing the CVS copy of environment.rb
> file to ENV['RAILS_ENV'] ||= 'production'? I am reluctant to do this;
> when some developer checks out the code, they would prefer the
> environment to be development. Kindly let me know if Capistrano has a
> better way to handle this.

OOPS, didnt read the docco carefully enough before I asked!

I changed the FastCgiServer definition in httpd.conf.

Thanks,
Binil