Forum: Ruby Re: ruby/gnuplot on windows

unknown (Guest)
Dear Jon,

I tried what I wrote to you yesterday on Cygwin/Windows and it worked
there.
Now, I have tried

gnuplot -persist g.plt´

where g.plt is a file containing just the line

plot sin(x)

and this works - without the persist, the plot disappears
instantaneously,  as
you mentioned.

Cygwin is a free, open-source attempt to make Unix run on Windows XP  --
I have been using it for several years now along with various Linuxes
--
most of the time things work, sometimes it drives me crazy, but by far
not

_http://www.cygwin.com/_ (http://www.cygwin.com/) .

Of course, Ruby will run on it. But I don't know whether they have  the
newest version available as a binary. I installed Ruby by  downloading
the
tar-file from
Ruby's website, decompressed it
using

gunzip ruby*.zip
tar xvf ruby*tar
cd ruby*
./configure
make
make install

- so just the usual procedure...

Best regards,

Axel
Jon D. (Guest)
on 2006-05-17 22:51
unknown wrote:
> Dear Jon,
>
> I tried what I wrote to you yesterday on Cygwin/Windows and it worked
> there.
> Now, I have tried
>
> gnuplot -persist g.plt´

Axel,

I have always used windows and am not very familiar with Unix.  How much
of a learning curve would there be to use cygwin?  Gnuplot is supposed
to work with windows and most of it does.  For some reason, I just can't
get a window to stay open.  What is strange is that the pause command
doesn't work either, but all the other commands like plot etc...work.
I'll give cygwin a try, but that might be more difficult for me than
figuring out the original problem.  Thanks for taking the time to help
me with this problem.  I really appreciate it.

Jon