Forum: Ruby Re: In search of elegant indices searching

unknown (Guest)
Dear 'uncutstone', Dear Tim,

thank you for your replies - and the lot of work you put in it!

Actually,

> {'x'=>5,'w'=>4}=>[4]
> now it gets weird, this means  the 4th position of x is 5 and of w is
> 4... Why only that result? Seems  a little arbitrary, why doesn't the
> result contain:
>  {'x'=>1,'w'=>2}=>[1]?

You're correct, I'd like to have it that way, actually - I am just too
tired
today even to make up an example correctly - but that doesn't matter,
if you can rely on friendly people :)

> And how come `y` is left out of the results alltogether?

That is done on purpose - I want to be able specify an Array
of variables which are not fixed here - in this case ['y'],
in fact, one of the values of any of the variables must change
 in my data, but all of the others or some of the others can remain
the same and I must account for that.

I think I can work with your proposals very well now.

Thank you,

Best regards,

Axel