Forum: Ruby Installation Problems

Patryk S. (Guest)
on 2006-05-16 22:35
I'm new to ruby, and attempting to install it for the first time.
Running as root under CentOS 4, I downloaded the sources, configure,
make, and make install, all with no apparent errors.

However, whenever I attempt to run it, I get this:

  -bash: /usr/bin/ruby: No such file or directory

I assume that I'm missing something fairly obvious, but I don't know
where.

Help?
Justin C. (Guest)
Patryk Soika wrote:

> Help?

How are you trying to run it? Maybe it isn't installed at /usr/bin/ruby.
Try:

whereis ruby

and/or

which ruby

To see where it is installed and which location bash is trying to use.
Also, might there have been an older/default installation of Ruby that
is messing it up?

-Justin
Patryk S. (Guest)
on 2006-05-16 22:49
"whereis ruby" returns
  ruby: /usr/bin/ruby /usr/lib/ruby /usr/local/bin/ruby
/usr/local/lib/ruby

"which ruby" returns
  /usr/local/bin/ruby

Interestingly enough, on a whim, I just copied the program file into
/usr/bin and it seems to be working.  There was an older version
installed that rails didn't like, but that had been removed completely.

Justin C. wrote:

> whereis ruby
>
> and/or
>
> which ruby
>
> To see where it is installed and which location bash is trying to use.
> Also, might there have been an older/default installation of Ruby that
> is messing it up?
>
> -Justin
Justin C. (Guest)
Patryk Soika wrote:
> installed that rails didn't like, but that had been removed completely.

Just make sure you are running the version you expect with

ruby -v

-Justin
Patryk S. (Guest)
on 2006-05-17 00:05
Justin C. wrote:

> Just make sure you are running the version you expect with
>
> ruby -v

1.8.4, latest and greatest.

Everything seems to be okay, now.  I'll test it a little harder later in
the week.

Thanks a lot for your help!

-P