Forum: Rails I18n Globalize for Rails 1.1 setup (MySQL)

Martin Bernd S. (Guest)
on 2006-05-16 19:45
Before I check if I can use Globalize with Oracle I'm trying a test on
MySQL first. I'm using Rails 1.1.2. with Ruby 1.8.2 (Linux).

http://svn.globalize-rails.org/svn/globalize/globa...
> cd vendor/plugins/
> mv for-1.1/ globalize
> rake globalize:setup

Up to that poiint everything seems fine. Globalize_countries /
_languages / _translations have been created and populated.

But when I run

> rake test_plugins

I get this

[...]
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.14.2/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:331:in
`real_connect': Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) (Mysql::Error)
[...]

Am I on the right track or did I do something wrong?
Am I using the correct URL?
Do I have to "mv for-1.1/ globalize"?
Did anyone manage to set up Globalize with Rails 1.1 (and MySQL)?

TIA! - Bernd
Joshua H. (Guest)
Are you sure that mysql socket exists? It's also a good idea to
renamefor-1.1 to globalize, as you mentioned, but I don't think
that'scausing the problem.
Josh
On 5/16/06, Martin Bernd S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:>
Before I check if I can use Globalize with Oracle I'm trying a test on>
MySQL first. I'm using Rails 1.1.2. with Ruby 1.8.2 (Linux).>> > ruby
script/plugin install
http://svn.globalize-rails.org/svn/globalize/globa...
> cd vendor/plugins/> > mv for-1.1/ globalize> > rake globalize:setup>>
Up to that poiint everything seems fine. Globalize_countries />
_languages / _translations have been created and populated.>> But when I
run>> > rake test_plugins>> I get this>> [...]>
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.14.2/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:331:in>
`real_connect': Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket>
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) (Mysql::Error)> [...]>> Am I on the
right track or did I do something wrong?> Am I using the correct URL?>
Do I have to "mv for-1.1/ globalize"?> Did anyone manage to set up
Globalize with Rails 1.1 (and MySQL!
Martin Bernd S. (Guest)
on 2006-05-19 20:23
I'm currently stuck somewhere else. Using the code from the Rails
Recipes book http://media.pragprog.com/titles/fr_rr/Localize.pdf, I'm
getting a

Globalize::WrongLanguageError.

This is the current code:

conf/environment.rb:

require File.join(File.dirname(__FILE__), 'boot')

Rails::Initializer.run do |config|
end

# $KCODE = 'u'
# require 'jcode'

include Globalize
Locale.set_base_language 'en-US'
Locale.set 'en-US'

app/models/product.rb:

class Product < ActiveRecord::Base
  translates :name, :description
end

globalize_controller.rb:

def init_data
  logger.debug("INIT DATA!!!")
  Locale.set 'en-US'
  prod = Product.create(:name => "Yemenese Coffee" ,
                        :description => "Coffee from the South of Yemen"
)
  Locale.set 'de-DE'
  prod.name = "Südjemenitischer Kaffee"
  prod.description = "Kaffee aus Südjemen"
  prod.save
end

The Locale.set 'de-DE' causes the trouble (I tried other locales as
well).

BTW - the rfc_3066 columns in globalize_languages are all NULL.

Thanks for any help! - Bernd
Joshua H. (Guest)
It's weird that that made it into the book, it shouldn't work.
   Locale.set 'en-US'   prod = Product.create(:name => "Yemenese Coffee"
,                         :description => "Coffee from the South of
Yemen"   )   Locale.set 'de-DE'   prod.name = "Südjemenitischer Kaffee"
prod.description = "Kaffee aus Südjemen"   prod.save
should be:
   Locale.set 'en-US'   prod = Product.create(:name => "Yemenese Coffee"
,                         :description => "Coffee from the South of
Yemen"   )   Locale.set 'de-DE'   prod.reload # You need this
prod.name = "Südjemenitischer Kaffee"   prod.description = "Kaffee aus
Südjemen"   prod.save
The reason you need the reload is that Globalize only loads
thetranslation of the current language, so it doesn't have the
Germantranslation in this case. In a future version we might want
toautomatically reload the translated object instead of throwing
theexception.
The rfc_3066 column is meant primarily for user-defined
dialects,although there are some common ones that should probably be
there,like pt-BR.
-- Josh
On 5/19/06, Martin Bernd S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:> I'm
[...]
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.>
Martin Bernd S. (Guest)
on 2006-05-20 07:58
Joshua Harvey wrote:

> Locale.set 'en-US'
> prod = Product.create(:name => "Yemenese Coffee",
>                       :description => "Coffee from the South of Yemen")
> Locale.set 'de-DE'
> prod.reload # You need this
> prod.name = "Südjemenitischer Kaffee"
> prod.description = "Kaffee aus Südjemen"
> prod.save
>
> The reason you need the reload is that Globalize only loads
> the translation of the current language, so it doesn't have the
> German translation in this case. In a future version we might want
> to automatically reload the translated object instead of throwing
> theexception.
> The rfc_3066 column is meant primarily for user-defined
> dialects, although there are some common ones that should probably be
> there,like pt-BR.
> -- Josh

Hi Josh,

thanks a lot! I'll check again. This recipe if from the website and
might have been fixed for the book already (or it was me who skipped the
reload). I'll contact the author about this.