Forum: Ruby on Rails Other databases...

Regg (Guest)
on 2006-05-15 21:32
I'm a newbie to Ruby and I was wondering if Ruby on Rails will work with
databases that has a ODBC/JDBC driver or does it ONLY work with the
databases that it list in it's documentation?

Thanks
Ashley M. (Guest)
On Monday 15 May 2006 18:32, Regg wrote:
> I'm a newbie to Ruby and I was wondering if Ruby on Rails will work with
> databases that has a ODBC/JDBC driver or does it ONLY work with the
> databases that it list in it's documentation?
>
> Thanks

AFAIK only the ones listed in the docs, because each database server
needs a
small Ruby adapter written for it to handle the SQL differences between
the
implementations.

Ashley
Mick S. (Guest)
on 2006-05-16 13:48
Regg wrote:
> I'm a newbie to Ruby and I was wondering if Ruby on Rails will work with
> databases that has a ODBC/JDBC driver or does it ONLY work with the
> databases that it list in it's documentation?
>
> Thanks

This article may be of interest to you:

http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/HowtoConne...
Andy M. (Guest)
on 2006-05-16 21:21
Mick S. wrote:
> Regg wrote:
>> I'm a newbie to Ruby and I was wondering if Ruby on Rails will work with
>> databases that has a ODBC/JDBC driver or does it ONLY work with the
>> databases that it list in it's documentation?
>>
>> Thanks
>
> This article may be of interest to you:
>
> http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/HowtoConne...

I am also interested in this subject.  Of particular interest to me is
using the Data Direct odbc connector to connect to a Progress database
on a unix server from a windows app.

I have also seen some imformation at
http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/New+database+adapter

If you make any progress on the subject please post.
kris (Guest)
on 2006-05-16 22:41
(I think) There is work with JRuby to get JDBC driver layer to work with
ActiveRecord...