Forum: Ruby Re: Compiling Ruby w/ Profile Guided Optimization

Berger, Daniel (Guest)
> Ruby with this feature turned on.  For the (somewhat
> contrived/synthetic) scenario below, it looks like compiling
> with profile guided optimization turned on, along with -O3,
> results in about a 9% speed increase vs. -O3 alone.
>   YMMV.  I compiled a version of Ruby-1.8.4 using the
> following config options...
>
>     configure CFLAGS="-O3 -fprofile-generate"
> LDFLAGS=-fprofile-generate

<snip>

Odd, I thought Ruby died a horrible death if compiled with -O3.  Has
that changed with gcc 4.x?

Thanks,

Dan

or
strictly
destroy
Eric H. (Guest)
On May 15, 2006, at 9:20 AM, Berger, Daniel wrote:

>>   YMMV.  I compiled a version of Ruby-1.8.4 using the
>> following config options...
>>
>>     configure CFLAGS="-O3 -fprofile-generate"
>> LDFLAGS=-fprofile-generate
>
> <snip>
>
> Odd, I thought Ruby died a horrible death if compiled with -O3.  Has
> that changed with gcc 4.x?

On OS X Ruby can fail when compiled with -fschedule-insns2 which is
in -O2.

http://trackmap.robotcoop.com