Forum: GNU Radio running

David Caruth (Guest)
Hello!

  I've just started playing with GnuRadio and the USRP, and was hoping
to run it on Windows XP.  I found Martin's installer
"setup-gnuradio-complete-2.6cvs.exe" and it worked great.  I then tried
to run the example to listen to some radio (I had this running with a
fedora core 5 linux installation with the same usrp).  I received the
following error messages:

  C:\caruthd\usrp\gnuradio-examples-0.7\python\usrp>python
usrp_wfm_rcv.py -f 101.1

  found 5 busses
Using RX d'board A: TV Rx
>>> gr_fir_ccf: using SSE
>>> gr_fir_fff: using SSE
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "usrp_wfm_rcv.py", line 268, in ?
    app = stdgui.stdapp (wfm_rx_graph, "USRP WFM RX")
  File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\gnuradio\wxgui\stdgui.py", line
36, in __
init__
    wx.App.__init__ (self, redirect=False)
  File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\wx-2.6-msw-ansi\wx\_core.py", line
7700,
in __init__
    self._BootstrapApp()
  File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\wx-2.6-msw-ansi\wx\_core.py", line
7352,
in _BootstrapApp
    return _core_.PyApp__BootstrapApp(*args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\gnuradio\wxgui\stdgui.py", line
39, in On
init
    frame = stdframe (self.flow_graph_maker, self.title, self._nstatus)
  File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\gnuradio\wxgui\stdgui.py", line
60, in __
init__
    self.panel = stdpanel (self, self, flow_graph_maker)
  File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\gnuradio\wxgui\stdgui.py", line
81, in __
init__
    self.fg = flow_graph_maker (frame, self, vbox, sys.argv)
  File "usrp_wfm_rcv.py", line 93, in __init__
    False)  # ok_to_block
  File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\gnuradio\audio_windows.py", line
213, in
sink
    return _audio_windows.sink(*args)
NotImplementedError: No matching function for overloaded 'sink'

  I had seen a previous post where Eric replied that a hex string needed
to be replaced by a gr function with the hex string as an argument, but
from looking through the .py files called here, i did not see anything
obvious.  has anyone else had this problem?  thanks in advance for any
help!  oh, and by the way, "usrp_fft.py" ran without a problem.

  Thanks a lot!
  Dave
Martin D. (Guest)
David Caruth wrote:
>   File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\wx-2.6-msw-ansi\wx\_core.py", line 7352,
>     self.fg = flow_graph_maker (frame, self, vbox, sys.argv)
>   File "usrp_wfm_rcv.py", line 93, in __init__
>     False)  # ok_to_block
>   File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\gnuradio\audio_windows.py", line 213, in
> sink
>     return _audio_windows.sink(*args)
> NotImplementedError: No matching function for overloaded 'sink'
I have not (yet) implemented the ok_to_block parameter in audio_windows
So remove the last parameter (False) in the instantiation of the audio
sink.
So change:
        audio_sink = audio.sink (int (audio_rate),
                                 options.audio_output,
                                 False)  # ok_to_block

Into:
        audio_sink = audio.sink (int (audio_rate),
                                 options.audio_output)
And it should work.

Greetings,
Martin
Eric B. (Guest)
On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 02:12:29PM +0200, Martin D. wrote:
>                                  options.audio_output)
> And it should work.
>
> Greetings,
> Martin

Martin,

Can you add the third parameter to gr-audio-windows constructors, even
though it will still be ignored.

Thanks,
Eric
Martin D. (Guest)
Eric B. wrote:

> Can you add the third parameter to gr-audio-windows constructors, even
> though it will still be ignored.
I will, but it will take me some time to build the new binaries.

Any news on the portaudio front?
It seems like a much better solution for gnuradio on windows but I don't
know the current status of it.

Greetings,
Martin
Eric B. (Guest)
On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 12:39:49AM +0200, Martin D. wrote:
> >>                                 False)  # ok_to_block
> > Martin,
> >
> > Can you add the third parameter to gr-audio-windows constructors, even
> > though it will still be ignored.
> I will, but it will take me some time to build the new binaries.
>
> Any news on the portaudio front?
> It seems like a much better solution for gnuradio on windows but I don't know the
current status of it.

It works, but isn't optimal under GNU/Linux.
I suggest trying it out under Windows.  Bob McGwier has lots of
experience with the various windows audio implmentations.  I recall
him mentioning that one of them is lots better than the others,
but don't recall the details.

Eric