Forum: Ruby on Rails Timeout in production mode after 2 min,but not in dev mode?!

Chris R. (Guest)
on 2006-05-14 21:25
One of my actions runs for more than 2 minutes.  In development mode it
runs and
completes successfully, but in production mode it quits out with a
timeout error:

"Timeout::Error (execution expired):"

Any ideas how i can stop this?  I'm desperate to find a solution.
Is there a setting i can change somewhere?

Any help would be greately appreciated,

Thanks
Chris
Jón B. (Guest)
Any info that comes in the production.log or the server logs?

Also if this is on a posix based system. Then this could be because of
rigths issue. I've had problems with the server hanging if the web
server can't write to the tmp directory or the log directory.

--
Isak H. (Guest)
> Any help would be greately appreciated,

Any sane production environment will (and should) terminate a task
that doesn't complete or produce any ouput in a reasonable amount of
time.

I suggest you process this task asynchronously instead. I.e. return a
page saying "Job subitted, estimated time until completion: xxxx", and
write an entry in the db that gets picked up by a cron job or
something similar to perform the actual work.