Forum: Ruby MulticastSocket in Ruby

dirk (Guest)
on 2006-05-13 13:49
Hi Folks,

I need some halp with Multicast Sockets. Is it possible to establish a
multicst socket in Ruby? I believe it ist, but have no idea how it could
work. I asked Google already for help, but with no success. So I ask
here. I already tried to solve this with using UDPSocket, but that
failed, too.

Is there any class, package or extension for this task or could you give
me a hint for doing this with the existing sockets?

Thanks a lot in advance.

greetz

dirk
Sam R. (Guest)
Quoting removed_email_address@domain.invalid, on Sat, May 13, 2006 at 06:49:49PM
+0900:
> I need some halp with Multicast Sockets. Is it possible to establish a
> multicst socket in Ruby? I believe it ist, but have no idea how it could
> work. I asked Google already for help, but with no success. So I ask
> here. I already tried to solve this with using UDPSocket, but that
> failed, too.

Use the low level apis of class Socket. They behave almost the same as
the BSD socket apis.

> Is there any class, package or extension for this task or could you give
> me a hint for doing this with the existing sockets?

If you want an example, multicast DNS uses multicast UDP, both send and
receive, look at http://dnssd.rubyforge.org, check out the source in
net-mdns.

Cheers,
Sam
Aaron P. (Guest)
On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 01:22:55PM +0900, Sam R. wrote:
[snip]
> If you want an example, multicast DNS uses multicast UDP, both send and
> receive, look at http://dnssd.rubyforge.org, check out the source in
> net-mdns.

Wow!  That link is great!  This will go quite well with
Net::DAAP::Client ( http://rubyforge.org/projects/daapclient/ ).  Yay!

--Aaron
Sam R. (Guest)
On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 02:57:42PM +0900, Aaron P. wrote:
> On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 01:22:55PM +0900, Sam R. wrote:
> [snip]
> > If you want an example, multicast DNS uses multicast UDP, both send and
> > receive, look at http://dnssd.rubyforge.org, check out the source in
> > net-mdns.
>
> Wow!  That link is great!  This will go quite well with
> Net::DAAP::Client ( http://rubyforge.org/projects/daapclient/ ).  Yay!

That looks pretty interesting, too, I'll keep an eye on it.

You might want to use the cvs version, there are some new easier-to-use
apis in the C bindings, and at least one bug fix. Charles and I probably
should re-sync the APIs and re-release but we don't hear much feedback
about DNS-SD, so its not very motivating.

Cheers,
Sam
dirk (Guest)
on 2006-05-19 17:37
Thanks a lot for your help.

Sorry that I response that late, but I had a little trouble with
finishing of my Bachelorthesis.

This here is for another project.

So thanks again for your help.

greetz