From: "Fred Allen" <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Subject: FW: Ominous quietude
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 03:30:17 +0900

Hi,

 Yiu have started the ruyb interpreter itsself.
 Try to find and execute irb.exe (guessed,...I am working on a UNIX
 system, where there are no "*.exe"...they are name -- for example --
 simply "ruby" instead of "ruby.exe" -- therefore I think, that "irb"
 on UNIX must be "irb.exe" under windows.).

 irb is the "interactive ruby shell".

 ruby.exe ("ruby" on UNIX) is the interpreter which process textfiles
 with commands.

 Hope I could help a little.
 Dont hesitate to ask because who who do not ask will get no answers
 :)

 Keep hacking!
 mcc
Bill K. (Guest)
From: "Fred Allen" <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>

> When I initiate Ruby's interactive application (c:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe) it
> seems strangely inert.  No prompt appears on the opened window (exact
> reproduction below).

Hi,

For interactive ruby, try "irb" instead of ruby.exe.

ruby.exe invoked with no parameters reads a script from stdin
(standard input) and will execute it when end-of-file is
reached.  (On windows, you can use control-Z to type and
end-of-file character.)

But for an interactive ruby session, try irb.

Hope this helps,

Bill