Forum: Ruby on Rails Anyone tried the recent Mac OS X Security update?

Walter Lee D. (Guest)
It includes a patch for Ruby. I have already installed 1.8.4 from
source, and updated my PATH to look in /usr/local first, so I don't
imagine that anything Apple does to "their" copy of Ruby will have any
impact on me, but I'm wondering if the changes to their Ruby is
something that needs to be done to 1.8.4 as well.

Thoughts?

Walter
Eric H. (Guest)
On May 12, 2006, at 7:23 AM, Walter Lee D. wrote:

> It includes a patch for Ruby. I have already installed 1.8.4 from
> source, and updated my PATH to look in /usr/local first, so I don't
> imagine that anything Apple does to "their" copy of Ruby will have
> any impact on me, but I'm wondering if the changes to their Ruby is
> something that needs to be done to 1.8.4 as well.
>
> Thoughts?

You should go read the Ruby's home page to find out.

http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/

http://trackmap.robotcoop.com
Geoff H. (Guest)
I updated. I had previously installed ruby in /usr/local/bin and had put
in
a softlink from /usr/bin (where OSX has ruby) to /usr/local/bin/ruby.
The
update blew this away, stopped stuff working (like rubygems). So, I had
go in and restore the link. After that, all OK. So far...

Geoff
Schmo (Guest)
Eric H. wrote:

> You should go read the Ruby's home page to find out.
>
> http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/

And where on the front page does it mention anything about Apple's
recent
OSX Security Update?

-Sean
It says that 1.8.2 and previous have the problem, and that there is a
fix in 1.8.3 and later.

Thanks all!

Walter
John T. (Guest)
On 5/12/06, Walter Lee D. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> It says that 1.8.2 and previous have the problem, and that there is a
> fix in 1.8.3 and later.

Looks like Apple fixed it in-place: (after running system update)

/usr/bin/ruby -v
ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [powerpc-darwin8.0]

(vs:

/usr/local/bin/ruby -v
ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [powerpc-darwin8.6.0]
)
Wijnand W. (Guest)
On 5/13/06, John T. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> /usr/local/bin/ruby -v
> ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [powerpc-darwin8.6.0]
> )

So that means we can use rails without installing local ruby copies?
I like that.

Wijnand
Arie Kusuma A. (Guest)
Wijnand W. wrote:

> So that means we can use rails without installing local ruby copies?
> I like that.

what if i installed ruby from darwinport and i had removed my original
ruby from macosx? my ruby is in /opt/local/bin/ruby

id-ruby:~ arie$ which ruby
/opt/local/bin/ruby
id-ruby:~ arie$ ruby -v
ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [powerpc-darwin8.0.0]
id-ruby:~ arie$

will there be no problem if i update it? sorry i've no time to try it
myself.

--
Arie Kusuma A. A.K.A Arie A.K.A ariekeren / YM! = riyari3
http://ariekusumaatmaja.wordpress.com

500 baris di PHP dkk VS 1 baris di Ruby dkk
300 baris di Java dkk VS 1 baris di Ruby dkk
Macih ngotot pake (as|ph)p? haree geneee????
John A. (Guest)
I did the update and Locomotive won't run launch apps anymore. It
freezes the entire machine on an intel MacBook Pro.

soho:~/Sites/tracks jathayde$ ruby -v
ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i686-darwin8.6.1]

Anyone else seen this behavior?

On May 12, 2006, at 10:23 AM, Walter Lee D. wrote:

John A.
removed_email_address@domain.invalid

Meticulous | www.meticulous.com (work)
Rotoscope | www.rotoscope.com (sound: rock band)
Boboroshi & Kynz | www.boboroshiandkynz.com (sound: electronic)
Personal Weblog | www.boboroshi.com (play)

          - Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
                        Reply of the Pennsylvania Assembly to the
Governor
                                  November 11, 1755
Ryan R. (Guest)
On Sunday, May 14, 2006, at 4:08 PM, John A. wrote:
>I did the update and Locomotive won't run launch apps anymore. It
>freezes the entire machine on an intel MacBook Pro.
>
>soho:~/Sites/tracks jathayde$ ruby -v
>ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i686-darwin8.6.1]
>
>Anyone else seen this behavior?

Fixed now.  Download the latest (2.0.7) from http://locomotive.raaum.org

Best,

-r
Eric H. (Guest)
On May 13, 2006, at 1:29 AM, Wijnand W. wrote:

>> (vs:
>>
>> /usr/local/bin/ruby -v
>> ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [powerpc-darwin8.6.0]
>> )
>
> So that means we can use rails without installing local ruby copies?
> I like that.

Rails doesn't make use of $SAFE.  It will work exactly the same after
the update as it did before.

On May 12, 2006, at 7:07 PM, Schmo wrote:

>>> Thoughts?
>>
>> You should go read the Ruby's home page to find out.
>>
>> http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/
>
> And where on the front page does it mention anything about Apple's
> recent
> OSX Security Update?

I'm specifically responding to:

>>> I'm wondering if the changes to their Ruby is something that
>>> needs to be done to 1.8.4 as well

http://trackmap.robotcoop.com
John A. (Guest)
Thanks :) Working great now. (sorry on the late reply).

On May 14, 2006, at 10:39 PM, Ryan R. wrote:

> Fixed now.  Download the latest (2.0.7) from http://
>>> removed_email_address@domain.invalid
>> Boboroshi & Kynz | www.boboroshiandkynz.com (sound: electronic)
>>
> Posted with http://DevLists.com.  Sign up and save your mailbox.