Forum: Ruby Re: Compiler for Ruby

Jamal M. (Guest)
Thanks for the links.  After reviewing several web pages, I have a few
more questions at this time.

Can YARV be used to speed up Ruby 1.84 programs for Windows?  Is YARV on
a separate track from Rite, or an integral part of its strategy for
better performance?  Is Rite a code name for Ruby 2.0, or will it be the
proper name upon official release of the language, with Ruby being the
name for earlier versions instead?  (I hope not, since I like the name
Ruby and hope it will continue, either with or without Rite in
addition.).

Jamal
Logan C. (Guest)
On May 10, 2006, at 9:39 AM, Jamal M. wrote:

> Ruby and hope it will continue, either with or without Rite in
> addition.).
>
> Jamal

ack, top-posting evil!

anyway, I believe that YARV is the planned VM for Rite. Ruby 2.0 is
the name of the language, rite is the name of the C implementation of
Ruby 2.0 IIRC.
Ross B. (Guest)
On Wed, 2006-05-10 at 23:53 +0900, Logan C. wrote:
> > proper name upon official release of the language, with Ruby being the
> anyway, I believe that YARV is the planned VM for Rite. Ruby 2.0 is
> the name of the language, rite is the name of the C implementation of
> Ruby 2.0 IIRC.

Indeed, the Ruby name doesn't appear to be endangered:

$ ruby-yarv -v
ruby 2.0.0 (Base: Ruby 1.9.0 2006-04-08) [i686-linux]
YARVCore 0.4.0 Rev: 493 (2006-05-03) [opts: ]