Forum: Ruby Compiler for Ruby

Jamal M. (Guest)
I realize that a compiler is not necessarily important to a lot of Ruby
developers because of the dynamic, interpreted nature of the language.
Once a program is good enough for production, however, it may benefit
from the increased performance a compiler can deliver.

So, I'm curious about the status of such a project.  Is it intended to
be part of Ruby 2.0?  Is it related to the Parrot virtual machine
project that intends to execute Ruby as well as other languages?

I don't know the details, but am aware that there are various forms of
compilers that work at different levels of code or at different points
in the life cycle of a program (e.g., native machine code compiler
versus Just-in-Time compiler).  I welcome any information about what is
in the works for Ruby, both near and long term.

Jamal

P.S.  In case it matters, I develop under Windows at present, though
eventually hope to do cross platform application development.
Bill G. (Guest)
On 5/9/06, Jamal M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> I realize that a compiler is not necessarily important to a lot of Ruby
> developers because of the dynamic, interpreted nature of the language.
> Once a program is good enough for production, however, it may benefit
> from the increased performance a compiler can deliver.
>
> So, I'm curious about the status of such a project.  Is it intended to
> be part of Ruby 2.0?  Is it related to the Parrot virtual machine
> project that intends to execute Ruby as well as other languages?

Her'e the compiler in progress:
http://www.atdot.net/yarv/

More details via Google:
http://www.google.com/search?q=ruby+rite