Forum: Ruby Re: RUBY on 64-bit Windows PCs.

Berger, Daniel (Guest)
> >> From: removed_email_address@domain.invalid
> > connection for every file.  My *guess* is that one of those
> >     ftp.chdir('/data/ps2000test')
> > Dan
> >

> Yes, I know that I'm iterating ftps here. But, it works on multiple
> 32-bit machiens. That's why I'm questioning it. Anyway, is
> there such a
> thing as "mput" instead of just "put" in RUBY ftp? Without a
> block, how
> could I send multiple files in ftp?

Good question.  I don't see anything in ftp.rb, but I could be missing
something.  I'd be in favor of FTP#mput and FTP#mget methods myself.

Indulge me - try using a non-block form of Net::FTP and see if it makes
any difference:

cindexfiles = Dir.glob("*_*-*.pdf")
cindexfiles.each do |cindexfile|
   ftp = Net::FTP.open('mpc.bna.com')
   ftp.debug_mode = true
   ftp.passive = true
   ftp.login('peterb','pbail')
   ftp.chdir('/data/ps2000test')
   ftp.putbinaryfile(cindexfile)
end

Regards,

Dan

or
strictly
destroy
Peter B. (Guest)
on 2006-05-09 23:31
Berger, Daniel wrote:
>> > connection for every file.  My *guess* is that one of those
>> >     ftp.chdir('/data/ps2000test')
>> > Dan
>> >

>> Yes, I know that I'm iterating ftps here. But, it works on multiple
>> 32-bit machiens. That's why I'm questioning it. Anyway, is
>> there such a
>> thing as "mput" instead of just "put" in RUBY ftp? Without a
>> block, how
>> could I send multiple files in ftp?
>
> Good question.  I don't see anything in ftp.rb, but I could be missing
> something.  I'd be in favor of FTP#mput and FTP#mget methods myself.
>
> Indulge me - try using a non-block form of Net::FTP and see if it makes
> any difference:
>
> cindexfiles = Dir.glob("*_*-*.pdf")
> cindexfiles.each do |cindexfile|
>    ftp = Net::FTP.open('mpc.bna.com')
>    ftp.debug_mode = true
>    ftp.passive = true
>    ftp.login('peterb','pbail')
>    ftp.chdir('/data/ps2000test')
>    ftp.putbinaryfile(cindexfile)
> end
>
> Regards,
>
> Dan
>

> This communication is the property of Qwest and may contain confidential
> or
> privileged information. Unauthorized use of this communication is
> strictly
> prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this communication
> in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and
> destroy
> all copies of the communication and any attachments.

Thanks for your ftp query. And, thanks for your persistence here. But,
sorry, I'm feeling kind of ignorant here. If I have a bunch of PDF files
in a directory, how can I do things to each of them, like ftp, WITHOUT a
block of some sort? Or, without some kind of multi-file ftp put, like
mput??

Cheers,
Peter
Justin C. (Guest)
Berger, Daniel wrote:
> [...]
Shouldn't that be something like:

cindexfiles = Dir.glob("*_*-*.pdf")

ftp = Net::FTP.open('mpc.bna.com')
ftp.debug_mode = true
ftp.passive = true
ftp.login('peterb','pbail')
ftp.chdir('/data/ps2000test')

cindexfiles.each do |cindexfile|
   ftp.putbinaryfile(cindexfile)
end

ftp.close

?

-Justin
Peter B. (Guest)
on 2006-05-10 16:15
Justin C. wrote:
> [...]

Yes, that's definitely smarter. I thought about it last night, and, of
course, it's smarter to iterate just the files rather than the whole ftp
transaction. But, anyway, I tried this again this morning with IRB, just
sending one file, not many, and it freezes as soon as I type in the
"end."