Forum: Ruby on Rails Solaris migration error:Lost connection to MySQL server

Don M. (Guest)
on 2006-05-09 20:34
We have installed rails 1.1.2 and Ruby 1.8.4 on solaris. When we attempt
run the initial migration we get the following error:

Mysql::Error: Lost connection to MySQL server during query: SELECT
version FROM schema_info
/web/server/pkgs/ruby-1.8.4/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.14.2/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract_adapter.rb:120:in
`log'
/web/server/pkgs/ruby-1.8.4/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.14.2/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:185:in
`execute'
/w

.etc

I can run my Windows installtion of Rails and connect to the MySql db,
no problem.

Can anyone indicate what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance,
Don Mc
Jonathan Conway (Guest)
Which version of the MySQL bindings are you using? Rails comes bundled
with the default Ruby MySQL bindings rather than the native ones.

I've found upgrading to the native ones (you really should anyone for
performance reasons) on solaris solved strange problems like this.

Alternatively move to Postgresql if you can as I've found it to be less
problematic.

Cheers

Jonathan
------
http:/www.agileevolved.com
Don M. (Guest)
on 2006-05-09 22:14
Jonathan,
  Thanks. Do you know where I could obtain the native bindings?

Regards,
Don Mc

Jonathan Conway wrote:
> Which version of the MySQL bindings are you using? Rails comes bundled
> with the default Ruby MySQL bindings rather than the native ones.
>
> I've found upgrading to the native ones (you really should anyone for
> performance reasons) on solaris solved strange problems like this.
>
> Alternatively move to Postgresql if you can as I've found it to be less
> problematic.
>
> Cheers
>
> Jonathan
> ------
> http:/www.agileevolved.com
Jonathan Conway (Guest)
Doing a "gem install mysql" should do it, you may need to use the
--include parameter though depending on how you installed MySQL (via
Blastwave, source or the Sun freeware packages) as I can't remember off
the top of my head where each of these methods install MySQL.

Cheers

Jonathan
-----
http://www.agileevolved.com
Luis Molina (Guest)
on 2007-01-13 19:18
Don Mc wrote:
> We have installed rails 1.1.2 and Ruby 1.8.4 on solaris. When we attempt
> run the initial migration we get the following error:
>

> Mysql::Error: Lost connection to MySQL server during query: SELECT
> version FROM schema_info

.
.
.
> Can anyone indicate what the problem might be?
> Thanks in advance,
> Don Mc

Your user in MySQL don't have privileges to read de database
"schema_info".
Linh C. (Guest)
on 2007-01-31 16:39
I had the same problem.
It is definitely the SQL adapter version, as Jonathan mentioned above.
I ran "gem install mysql" , and it solved my problem.

Chau Hong Linh.