Forum: Ruby Re: RUBY on 64-bit Windows PCs.

Berger, Daniel (Guest)
> got. It simply freezes up. Has anyone heard of such problems?
> I'm having
> to copy my files over to garden variety 32-bit boxes to get
> my ftp'ing
> done.
>
> Thanks,
> Peter

There has been virtually no testing on 64 bit Windows because, well,
very few people have access to 64 bit Windows boxes.

Can you provide a sample script that demonstrates the problem?  If you
step through it with the debugger can you see what line it freezes on?

Regards,

Dan

or
strictly
destroy
Peter B. (Guest)
on 2006-05-09 21:58
Berger, Daniel wrote:
>> got. It simply freezes up. Has anyone heard of such problems?
>> I'm having
>> to copy my files over to garden variety 32-bit boxes to get
>> my ftp'ing
>> done.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Peter
>
> There has been virtually no testing on 64 bit Windows because, well,
> very few people have access to 64 bit Windows boxes.
>
> Can you provide a sample script that demonstrates the problem?  If you
> step through it with the debugger can you see what line it freezes on?
>
> Regards,
>
> Dan
>

> This communication is the property of Qwest and may contain confidential
> or
> privileged information. Unauthorized use of this communication is
> strictly
> prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this communication
> in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and
> destroy
> all copies of the communication and any attachments.

Dan,
It happens on a simple script like the one below, right at the first
"end." It freezes up and I have to essentially close down the shell, in
Windows.

FYI--64-bit Windows boxes are becoming more common. Our HP rep. sold
mine to us, telling us that is was now the standard for "workstation"
class PCs. I think Intel has been freaked out by the AMD success with
their new (64-bit) chips.
#Get any Cindex files first.
cindexfiles = Dir.glob("*_*-*.pdf")
cindexfiles.each do |cindexfile|
        ftp = Net::FTP.open('mpc.bna.com') do |ftp|
	ftp.debug_mode = true
	ftp.passive = true
	ftp.login('peterb','pbail')
	ftp.chdir('/data/ps2000test')
	ftp.putbinaryfile(cindexfile)

-Peter
Tom R. (Guest)
Berger, Daniel wrote:

>>got. It simply freezes up. Has anyone heard of such problems?
>>I'm having
>>to copy my files over to garden variety 32-bit boxes to get
>>my ftp'ing
>>done.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Peter

I've been using a 64 bit AMD and windows 2000 for months without any
trouble with ruby.
TR
Peter B. (Guest)
on 2006-05-10 16:11
Tom R. wrote:
> Berger, Daniel wrote:
>
>>>got. It simply freezes up. Has anyone heard of such problems?
>>>I'm having
>>>to copy my files over to garden variety 32-bit boxes to get
>>>my ftp'ing
>>>done.
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Peter
>>>

> I've been using a 64 bit AMD and windows 2000 for months without any
> trouble with ruby.
> TR

OK. Well, I guess it's another issue then. Maybe some ports are closed,
although, I can ftp just fine using the command shell.

Thanks.