Forum: Ruby Print Out Code in Program

Patrick (Guest)
on 2006-05-09 08:40
class Ab
def code
a = 5
b = 2

Is there a way to store the actual code of a class or definition as a
string without manually doing it? Such as if you were doing a tutorial
on how something works. So basically I could do print aB and I get "def
code a = 5 b = 2 end"
Logan C. (Guest)
On May 9, 2006, at 12:40 AM, Patrick wrote:

> "def
> code a = 5 b = 2 end"
>
> --

Sounds like a job for xmp[1]
[1] http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/xmp/
Patrick (Guest)
on 2006-05-09 09:33
Thanks, the code works, but is there still a way to print out everything
in a class by just referencing the class name? To get everything to be
displayed using this code it has to basicaly start before the class and
end afterward.
Joey (Guest)
@ab = <<-CODE
class Ab
def code
a = 5
b = 2
CODE

eval(@ab)
def print_class(klass)
  print instance_variable_get "@#{klass.to_s.downcase}"
end

print_class(Ab)
Chiaro S. (Guest)
I was asking something similar about blocks in the near past.  After a
fiery discussion I was advised tou use a ParseTree trick to go back to
the original code and read it..
(Guest)
Patrick wrote:
> code a = 5 b = 2 end"