Forum: Ruby on Rails what are all these methods?!?! :)

Andrew G. (Guest)
on 2006-05-09 07:42
I've been happily riding the Ruby/Ruby on Rails learning curve .. I
bought the pickaxe book, first and beta second editions of the agile
book and i've been using the api.rubyonrails.com but i've come across
something which as stumped me

I'm fooloing around with :acts_as_tree in the console and I instantiated
a new tree object and went to use the readline support to see all the
available methods and I was rather surprised to see many many more
methods than I was expecting..so I went to the api site and a lot of
them weren't documented.. .add_children, .child_ids, etc... now I can
guess pretty easily what these methods do and my next step is to go and
look at the source code...but can anyone suggest if i'm missing
something?
Kevin O. (Guest)
On Tuesday, May 09, 2006, at 5:42 AM, Andrew G. wrote:
>guess pretty easily what these methods do and my next step is to go and
>look at the source code...but can anyone suggest if i'm missing
>something?
>

>--

The public API site lists the 'public' API.  These are the methods that
can be counted on to remain more or less the same in future versions.
The others are probably private methods or methods that are considered
non-public and subject to change.

_Kevin
Alex Y. (Guest)
Andrew G. wrote:
> I'm fooloing around with :acts_as_tree in the console and I instantiated
> a new tree object and went to use the readline support to see all the
> available methods and I was rather surprised to see many many more
> methods than I was expecting..so I went to the api site and a lot of
> them weren't documented.. .add_children, .child_ids, etc... now I can
> guess pretty easily what these methods do and my next step is to go and
> look at the source code...but can anyone suggest if i'm missing
> something?
I was wondering about that, too...  I think it's just a byproduct of the
way those methods are declared that they can't be picked up by the
documentation generator.  There are some really useful methods in there,
too...  I'd suggest just wading into the source.  It's not that deep.