Forum: Ruby on Rails How much memory is need to host a rails app?

Paul B. (Guest)
I'm looking to host a low-traffic, personal blog.  I already have a VPS
Linux host with 192MB of RAM.  How much memory is need to run a rails
app?
Considering that memory is scarce, I assuming LigHTTPD will be a better
choice than apache.  What about MySql?  Do I need more memory to host
that
or should I consider sqlite instead?  Is anyone else hosting a Rails a
rails
app on a host with 192MB of RAM or less?  Are you using FastCGI or
something
else?
Alex W. (Guest)
on 2006-05-07 03:18
Paul B. wrote:
> I'm looking to host a low-traffic, personal blog.  I already have a VPS
> Linux host with 192MB of RAM.  How much memory is need to run a rails
> app?
> Considering that memory is scarce, I assuming LigHTTPD will be a better
> choice than apache.  What about MySql?  Do I need more memory to host
> that
> or should I consider sqlite instead?  Is anyone else hosting a Rails a
> rails
> app on a host with 192MB of RAM or less?  Are you using FastCGI or
> something
> else?

The average footprint for each rails process run about 30-45 MB in my
experience.  The more processes the more memory obviously.  Not sure
about DB solutions though.

And don't run Rmagick, at all.  It will crash un gracefully if it runs
out of memory, and it uses a lot.
Paul B. (Guest)
So what are you using, Lighttpd?  So do you just start your production
site
using script/server -e PRODUCTION?

I'm checking out sqlite.  Seems like it would be much better on the
memory
resources, because unless I'm not understanding it correcly, there is no
sqlite process that runs (therefore no memory used).  I guess the
sqlite3-ruby code is some kind of database adapter that knows how to
work
with the file.  Weird.
Alex W. (Guest)
on 2006-05-07 04:32
Paul B. wrote:
> So what are you using, Lighttpd?  So do you just start your production
> site
> using script/server -e PRODUCTION?
>
> I'm checking out sqlite.  Seems like it would be much better on the
> memory
> resources, because unless I'm not understanding it correcly, there is no
> sqlite process that runs (therefore no memory used).  I guess the
> sqlite3-ruby code is some kind of database adapter that knows how to
> work
> with the file.  Weird.

yes lighttpd. I start it with

  lighttpd -f /path/to/lighttpd.conf