Forum: Ruby on Rails rake doc:rails fails

Alex Y. (Guest)
Hi there,

Running doc:rails and doc:rerails on a fresh rails directory after
running 'rake freeze_gems' fail with the following error:

 > Don't know how to build task 'vendor/rails/activesupport/README'

Should it work?  That file doesn't seem to exist.

If that's not the sequence for generating the api documentation, what
should it be?
Damien T. (Guest)
on 2006-05-06 14:51
I'm a noob, so don't take my answer as final, but I use 'rake appdoc'
successfully.
Alex Y. (Guest)
Damien T. wrote:
> I'm a noob, so don't take my answer as final, but I use 'rake appdoc'
> successfully.

That generates the documentation for a given application.  I want the
API docs, as presented at http://api.rubyonrails.org.  rake -T lists
rake doc:rails and rake doc:rerails as options, but neither of them
works - at least, not the way I'm expecting, which may well be wrong.

This is rails 1.1.2 on Ruby 1.8.4.
Dave T. (Guest)
Dave T. wrote:
> I mentioned this to the team when I was writing about generating
> documentation for the book, and the next release will include the README
> in the Gem. In the meantime, creating a dummy file allows the
> documentation to proceed.

Excellent.  Thanks for that.