Forum: Ruby on Rails Dumb polymorphic association question

Matthew D. (Guest)

Why is it that polymorphic associations only work with the :has_many
and :belongs_to relationships?  Why can't it be a :has_one?

Matt
Josh S. (Guest)
on 2006-05-05 22:37
Matthew D. wrote:
> Why is it that polymorphic associations only work with the :has_many
> and :belongs_to relationships?  Why can't it be a :has_one?

The answer to this sort of question is always one of three things.
Either it's not useful, it's not feasible, or someone hasn't taken the
time to make it work yet. In this case I think it's the last one.
Remember that Rails features almost always are developed in response to
needs for real-world development - people don't just sit around
implementing features in the hopes that someday they will be useful.

I hope that didn't sound snarky. Just trying to answer your question.

--
Josh S.
http://blog.hasmanythrough.com
> I hope that didn't sound snarky. Just trying to answer your question.

No, absolutely not snarky (great word!), I was concerned I'd missed
something!  Maybe I'll have a look at how the polymorphic stuff hangs
together to see if I can get anywhere with doing it.

Matt