Forum: Ruby on Rails Diff tool for OSX

Hammed M. (Guest)
I've looked for DIFF tools for OSX but haven't found anything good
yet. Tried guiffy (http://www.guiffy.com) but it's very slow and the
folder comparison doesn't indicate a change until you drill down to
the level with the difference which kinda defeats the purpose.

I'm missing TortoiseSVN and the diff tool that comes with it. Any
suggestions for similar tools for OSX?

Thanks
Gravy F. (Guest)
There's always... diff :)

http://www.hmug.org/man/1/diff.php
Tres Wong-Godfrey (Guest)
Hammed M. (Guest)
> What's wrong with SCPlugin?

Only that it didn't know about it :) Looks interesting. I got a binary
from:

http://funkatron.com/wp/archives/os-x/binary-build...

Thanks!
Phillip H. (Guest)
On 5/05/2006, at 2:45 PM, Hammed M. wrote:

> I've looked for DIFF tools for OSX but haven't found anything good
> yet. Tried guiffy (http://www.guiffy.com) but it's very slow and the
> folder comparison doesn't indicate a change until you drill down to
> the level with the difference which kinda defeats the purpose.
>
> I'm missing TortoiseSVN and the diff tool that comes with it. Any
> suggestions for similar tools for OSX?

Is anything wrong with diff? I should put `diff -u oldfile newfile |
mate` in to a macro...
Hammed M. (Guest)
I'm more of a visual person so I find diff tools that display the
files in adjacent panels and hilight the differences with colour more
useful.
Takashi Okamoto (Guest)
there's filemerge.app when you install the developer tools.

-tak.
Billy M. (Guest)
On 5/4/06, Hammed M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> I've looked for DIFF tools for OSX but haven't found anything good
> yet.

TextWrangler does both file and folder comparisons:

http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/

It works well enough for me, and it's free.

Good luck,
--
Billy M.
Smart Goat Web Design

1) FileMerge if you Have Apple Developer Tools installed /Developer/
Applications/Utilities
2) TextMate (select items in project drawer, etc.). Nice color, but
not side by side.
3) Install the Eclipse IDE. Very nice and powerful diff tool with
very visual side by side.
Rimantas L. (Guest)
<...>
> I'm missing TortoiseSVN and the diff tool that comes with it. Any
> suggestions for similar tools for OSX?

You may try SmartSVN: http://www.smartsvn.com/

Regards,
Rimantas
--
http://rimantas.com/
Graeme Mathieson (Guest)

>> I'm missing TortoiseSVN and the diff tool that comes with it. Any
>> suggestions for similar tools for OSX?

There's always FileMerge.app in the Developer tools.  You can access
it from the command line with 'opendiff'.  And you can integrate it
into Subversion by grabbing svndiffshim.py[1] adding the following to
~/.subversion/config:

     [helpers]
     diff-cmd = /path/to/svndiffshim.py

Then when you do an `svn diff`, the diffs will appear in FileMerge.

Cheers,

Graeme

[1] http://svn.red-bean.com/bbum/trunk/hacques/svndiffshim.py
--
Graeme Mathieson, Technical Director, Rubaidh Ltd
removed_email_address@domain.invalid        http://www.rubaidh.com/

Scottish for Ruby on Rails
Eric H. (Guest)
On May 4, 2006, at 8:34 PM, Hammed M. wrote:

>> > I'm missing TortoiseSVN and the diff tool that comes with it. Any
>> > suggestions for similar tools for OSX?
>>
>> Is anything wrong with diff? I should put `diff -u oldfile newfile |
>> mate` in to a macro...
>
> I'm more of a visual person so I find diff tools that display the
> files in adjacent panels and hilight the differences with colour more
> useful.

Use sdiff

http://trackmap.robotcoop.com
Rob K. (Guest)
know it's got a 'K' as in KDE in front, but don't let that scare you.
KDiff3 is a pretty fast, very easy to use diff tool, giving you 2-way
and 3-way file and directory diffing.  Plus it's cross platform and
open source.

Rob K.
Hammed M. (Guest)
On 5/5/06, Rob K. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> I would really recommend kdiff3 [http://kdiff3.sourceforge.net/].

>From the screenshots this looks like exactly what I was looking for.
Unfortunately no binary for macintel.
Dominic S. (Guest)
Oreilly just came out with an article showing the different diff tools
on
OSX

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2006/05/02/fil...
Remo (Guest)
on 2006-12-10 15:22
Hammed M. wrote:
> On 5/5/06, Rob K. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>> I would really recommend kdiff3 [http://kdiff3.sourceforge.net/].
>
>>From the screenshots this looks like exactly what I was looking for.
> Unfortunately no binary for macintel.

And how can I install kdiff?
When I start it, nothing happens.
Aaron B. (Guest)
Try installing the optional Xcode tools from your OSX install disk.
This includes a utility called FileMerge for comparing and merging
files.

After this install you'll find it here
/Developer/Applications/Utilities/FileMerge

Aaron