Forum: Ruby on Rails Child calls

james (Guest)
on 2006-05-04 20:23
If I use <%= parent.name %> and or <%= parent.child.name %> then i get
the correct record.

BUT if say <% nameholder = "parent.child.name" %>
<%= nameholder %> it just prints parent.child.name.

How do I get ruby to recognize nameholder as object?

Thanks,

James
Adam B. (Guest)
on 2006-05-04 20:24
Don't quote parent.child.name.

<% nameholder = parent.child.name %>
james (Guest)
on 2006-05-04 20:32
Adam B. wrote:
> Don't quote parent.child.name.
>
> <% nameholder = parent.child.name %>

Thanks for the quick response.

<% nameholder = "parent.child.name" %> The quotes are actually from some
other logic where I am parsing a string in order to create the correct
parent.child.name... in other words Im creating it dynamically but how
do I change it back to a command from a string.

Obviously Im a newbie, but I appreciate your help/patience.

James
Adam B. (Guest)
on 2006-05-04 20:44
I don't think that's possible. However, I KNOW it's possible to
dynamically create code. My suggestion is you post your code block that
creates that string, and wait for someone with more Ruby knowledge than
I to help you convert it into working Ruby.

-Adam
Henry T. (Guest)
You're trying to execute a method named by the result of
parent.child.name?

You could try..

<% nameholder = eval(parent.child.name.to_s) %>

-henry
james (Guest)
on 2006-05-04 21:09
Henry T. wrote:
> You're trying to execute a method named by the result of
> parent.child.name?
>
> You could try..
>
> <% nameholder = eval(parent.child.name.to_s) %>
>
> -henry

I love you.

Thanks That was it!