Forum: Ruby Re: Ruby equivalent to simple awk program

Gennady B. (Guest)
$ ruby -e 'puts $ARGF.readlines.reverse'

Gennady.
Logan C. (Guest)
On May 4, 2006, at 11:59 AM, Gennady B. wrote:

>  $ ruby -e 'puts $ARGF.readlines.reverse'
>
> Gennady.

Someone didn't test their code ;) (It's ARGF not $ARGF)
Lou S. (Guest)
> If you find yourself trying Perl before Ruby, however, seek
> psychiatric help immediately :)

Sometimes you'll find a machine that doesn't have ruby installed.

Besides, it's not that bad.  Really I promise it won't hurt a bit.

    $ perl -ne 'push @a, $_; END { print reverse @a }'

It's not any worse than the awk (but not a pretty as the ruby).  Like
it was said before, use the tools you have:

    $ tac test.rb
Mike S. (Guest)
On 4-May-06, at 4:14 PM, Louis J Scoras wrote:

> it was said before, use the tools you have:
If you are going to resort to perl then you should probably use

$ perl -e 'print reverse <>'

Mike

--

Mike S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
http://www.stok.ca/~mike/

The "`Stok' disclaimers" apply.
Lou S. (Guest)
> If you are going to resort to perl then you should probably use
>
> $ perl -e 'print reverse <>'

Heh.  Very true, that's much better.  I had awk on the brain.
Florian F. (Guest)
Louis J Scoras wrote:

>> If you are going to resort to perl then you should probably use
>>
>> $ perl -e 'print reverse <>'
>
> Heh.  Very true, that's much better.  I had awk on the brain.

ruby -e '$><<[*$<].reverse'

This looks like Perl is supposed to look, too.
unknown (Guest)
> ruby -e '$><<[*$<].reverse'

A great big +1 for that one :)  Just to prove that ruby can be every
bit as ugly (shows flexibility, right?) as any other language :)
Alex Y. (Guest)
>> ruby -e '$><<[*$<].reverse'
>

> A great big +1 for that one :)  Just to prove that ruby can be every bit
> as ugly (shows flexibility, right?) as any other language :)
I initially misread that as:

   ruby -e '$><<[*$<].perverse'

which seems somehow *far* more appropriate...