Forum: Ruby on Rails Is there a way to version the contents of a table as a set?

Eden B. (Guest)
I am looking at using acts_as_versioned to manage revisions of data in
several tables in my application.  However, the default behavior of
acts_as_versioned appears to apply to individual rows within a table.
The
tables I want to version are complicated lookup tables and what I really
want is to version the entire contents of each table as a single set.
Adding a row, deleting a row, or updating one or more rows should update
the
version of all rows.  Is there a way to use acts_as_versioned to
accomplish
this?  Is there a different approach that anyone can recommend?
Surendra S. (Guest)
"Eden B." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> writes:

> I am looking at using acts_as_versioned to manage revisions of data in
> several tables in my application.  However, the default behavior of
> acts_as_versioned appears to apply to individual rows within a table.  The
> tables I want to version are complicated lookup tables and what I really
> want is to version the entire contents of each table as a single set.

Store the `diff' after each insertion/deletion/update transaction.

--
Surendra S.
Read my blog at: http://cuttingtheredtape.blogspot.com/
| "O thou my friend! The prosperity of Crime is like unto the lightning,
| whose traitorous brilliancies embellish the atmosphere but for an
| instant, in order to hurl into death's very depths the luckless one
| they have dazzled." -- Marquis de Sade
`----
Eden B. (Guest)
I think I understand your suggestion.  It sounds like you are saying
that
there is no existing plugin to handle this and I should build my own
solution?

Thanks,

Eden