Forum: Ruby Installing Ruby on Unix

Chris R. (Guest)
on 2006-05-04 17:37
I am making the leap to learn Ruby and I have tried to follow some
install instructions for installing Ruby on Unix. I am logged in as root
and have done the following:

1) autoconf
2) ./configure

The configure command returns the following message:
 "configure: error: cannot run /bin/bash ./config.sub"

Is this a fatal error or is it just stating that the bash shell is not
used?

Can I continue with the "make" commands or should I resolve this
problem?

Need assistance: THanks!
Logan C. (Guest)
On May 4, 2006, at 9:38 AM, Chris R. wrote:

I get the feeling that you munged something when you ran 'autoconf'.
You shouldn't need to run autoconf (unless maybe you grabbed ruby
from CVS). Try re-unpacking the tarball and then:
1) ./configure
2) make
3) make install
    as root
Chris R. (Guest)
on 2006-05-04 17:49
OK, I'll try as you suggest.

Is there any particular place that the tar should be placed for
unpacking or does it not matter?
Patrick H. (Guest)
On 5/4/06, Chris R. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> OK, I'll try as you suggest.
>
> Is there any particular place that the tar should be placed for
> unpacking or does it not matter?
>
> --

It does not matter where the tar is expanded; however, for a complete
build there are some development libraries you will want to have
installed (off the top of my head, please chime in on the ones I
missed):

iconv
readline
openssl
zlib
William S. (Guest)
on 2006-05-04 18:04
Chris R. wrote:
> OK, I'll try as you suggest.
>
> Is there any particular place that the tar should be placed for
> unpacking or does it not matter?
Chris,
No it doesn't matter.

Bill
Chris R. (Guest)
on 2006-05-04 18:26
GREAT!

I unpacked the archive and ran the ./configure command again. All
appears to be going well now.

Thanks Patrick and Bill for your help!