Forum: Ruby on Rails ruby on rails international & BIRT integration?

Juraj B. (Guest)
on 2006-05-04 01:49
Hello,

 I see, that Rails is quite english-centric. I am developing some webs,
that are not primarily in English. I have a few questions:

 - besides turning of plurals, what should I take care? How to use utf-8
for all data and converting it from local charsets to utf-8?
 - how do I make my page multilingual (i.e. adding english support
later)? Is there something like gettext support? Is there a multilingual
scaffold support? (So I'll have a web interface where I can translate
all the messages used in application).
 - Is there some web/wiki page talking about internationalization issues
in Rails? Should we start one?

 One more question not about internationalization: is there some BIRT
(Business Intelligence and Reporting Tool) integration? Or preferable
way to make reports (PDF, HTML, ...) from my existing model?

  Thanks,

    Juraj.
Chris T (Guest)
Google: UTF-8 rails
Google: rails globalize
Google: ruby Pdf writer

HTH
Juraj B. (Guest)
on 2006-05-04 16:13
Hello,

> Google: ruby Pdf writer

well, I wanted <a href="http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/">BIRT</a>
integration, not another plugin to write PDF documents.

And I wanted some hints for i18n site creation (how to set up rails
correctly), I know about globalize. For example I don't know in which
character set does data from browser come...

  Juraj.
Simo A. (Guest)
on 2006-05-04 16:39
Juraj B. wrote:

> well, I wanted <a href="http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/">BIRT</a>
> integration, not another plugin to write PDF documents.

The BIRT site contains an article about Integrating BIRT with PHP. Try
to use ruby
code and rails funtions instead of PHP.
 http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/deploy/usingPHP.php

Simo
 AddSW.it
Masao M. (Guest)

On Thu, 4 May 2006 14:13:45 +0200
Juraj B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> > Google: ruby Pdf writer
>
> well, I wanted <a href="http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/">BIRT</a>
> integration, not another plugin to write PDF documents.
>
> And I wanted some hints for i18n site creation (how to set up rails
> correctly), I know about globalize. For example I don't know in which
> character set does data from browser come...

Did you try Ruby-GetText-Package ?
http://www.yotabanana.com/hiki/ruby-gettext-howto-rails.html
Juraj B. (Guest)
on 2006-05-04 21:49
Hello,

> Did you try Ruby-GetText-Package ?
> http://www.yotabanana.com/hiki/ruby-gettext-howto-rails.html

thank you, this is exactly what I've been looking for.

 Juraj.