Forum: Ruby on Rails RoR go Live?

Al M. (Guest)
on 2006-05-04 00:36
I am having a problem trying to use RoR live.

I have a Win XP SP1 OS,
Apache 2.0.55,
MySQL 5.0.15-nt
ruby 1.8.2,
rails 1.0.0,
gem 0.8.10,
WEBrick 1.3.1

Is it possible to run RoR using these components, live? Using an actual
domain name like www.joe.com/rails/app? Instead of using localhost:3000?

I would like to go live using either just Apache or Apache and WEBrick
for RoR.

I have an actual domain name and a home web server and I am just
experimenting and trying to learn RoR.

I have tried several styles of VirtualHosts and conf file changes, and
have tried with WEBrick and without.

Do I need to use a proxy or reverse proxy to use WEBrick?

I do not want to get the latest versions of all the components if it is
not necessary. The changes happen so fast, it decreases the amount of
Google info available on new releases, I have found out the hard way.

If anyone has had success with this arrangement and can help me in the
changes necessary for the conf files or other changes, I would
appreciate it very much.
Markus K. (Guest)
Al McFarland wrote:
> Is it possible to run RoR using these components, live? Using an actual
> domain name like www.joe.com/rails/app? Instead of using localhost:3000?
>
> I would like to go live using either just Apache or Apache and WEBrick
> for RoR.
>
> I have an actual domain name and a home web server and I am just
> experimenting and trying to learn RoR.
>
> I have tried several styles of VirtualHosts and conf file changes, and
> have tried with WEBrick and without.

Have a look at page 3 and 4 of
http://www.rails4days.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Rails4Days.pdf