Forum: Ruby on Rails anybody using GoDaddy for hosting ?

Bill W. (Guest)
Is anybody hosting with GoDaddy.com?  I'm about to set up a hosted
account for my RoR app and see that they're now offering RoR hosting.
I'd really appreciate hearing from anybody who's tried them for RoR.
Any congrats / complaints / etc. you had / are having would be really
appreciated!

Thanks,
Bill
Surendra S. (Guest)
"Bill W." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> writes:

> Is anybody hosting with GoDaddy.com?  I'm about to set up a hosted account for my RoR
app and see that they're now offering RoR hosting.  I'd really appreciate hearing from
anybody who's tried them for RoR.  Any congrats / complaints / etc. you had / are having
would be really appreciated!

They *don't* have rails 1.1.0. And I don't think their ruby version is
1.8.4.

I found their technical support useless.

I have been successfully able to run a rails application from a sub
folder in
my web space, but not from the root directory.

They are cheap and good for registering domain names, but I won't
recommend
them for web hosting. I have an account there and I am planning to quit
it and
migrate to some other web host.

Search the archives, for knowing about other godaddy woes.

--
Surendra S.
Read my blog at: http://cuttingtheredtape.blogspot.com/
| "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."
|     -- Orwell, Animal Farm, 1945
`----
seth b. (Guest)
Go with rimuhosting VPS plan...they are top notch.
Matt W. (Guest)
I'm using Site5 for some clients and Rimu VPS for others... Rimu rocks,
but
they are certainly more expensive than Site5. If you want cheap, I think
Site5 is worth a look.

Matt
Raymond B. (Guest)
Tried GoDaddy, didn't like 'em.

Have had best luck with TextDrive (the best), Dreamhost (great docs in
their wiki!), and A Small Orange, in that order.
Brian (Guest)
Hello,

Surendra S. <efuzzyone@...> writes:

> "Bill W." <bill.walton@...> writes:
>
> > Is anybody hosting with GoDaddy.com?  I'm about to set up a hosted account
for my RoR app and see that they're
> now offering RoR hosting.  I'd really appreciate hearing from anybody who's
tried them for RoR.  Any
> congrats / complaints / etc. you had / are having would be really
appreciated!

> They *don't* have rails 1.1.0. And I don't think their ruby version is 1.8.4.

True, we still just have Rails 1.0 available but we're looking at adding
Rails 1.1.0 soon.

The current version of Ruby installed on our hosting servers is 1.8.4.

> I found their technical support useless.

I'm sorry that you had problems with our technical support.  Any
support questions not answered satisfactorily should have been
escalated by our teams until a final resolution was found.

> I have been successfully able to run a rails application from a sub folder in
> my web space, but not from the root directory.

This is another area we'd like to address.  Currently we support any
number of Rails applications in your home directory but as you've
found it requires using a directory path or a symbolic link.

One possible workaround, though, is to take advantage of our free
subdomain
and alias offerings.  Since a subdomain or alias is tied to a
directory, you're free to setup an alias that points to your Rails
application's public directory.  Then, for that alias, there's no need
to use the application's directory structure in the URL.

> They are cheap and good for registering domain names, but I won't recommend
> them for web hosting. I have an account there and I am planning to quit it
and
> migrate to some other web host.
>
> Search the archives, for knowing about other godaddy woes.

Well, we hate to lose customers, so I hope you'll reconsider.  I work
on the hosting development team and I can assure you we are
dedicated to improving and expanding all aspects of our product
offerings.  We're not just satisifed with having support for
Ruby on Rails applications, we'd like to make sure that it works well
with all levels of Rails developers.  Please feel free to send us
feedback, suggestions, Gem requests, etc... and we'll see what we can
do.

Thanks!

Brian
Go Daddy Hosting Development
Dan S. (Guest)
On 5/4/06, Raymond B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Have had best luck with TextDrive (the best), Dreamhost (great docs in
> their wiki!), and A Small Orange, in that order.

I left TextDrive for RimuHosting and haven't looked back. TextDrive
has had issues with uptime in my experience, and the ability to handle
your own web server instance on a VPS is well worth the marginal extra
dough because of the aggrivation that you'll avoid.

Incidentally I have run *simple* sites in production on Dreamhost and
it's wasn't too bad. At least they've got a real control panel for
email config rather than the strange version of webmin that Textdrive
runs.

my 2c

Dan
Surendra S. (Guest)
Brian <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Surendra S. <efuzzyone@...> writes:
>

>> "Bill W." <bill.walton@...> writes:
>>

> The current version of Ruby installed on our hosting servers is 1.8.4.

Thanks, I had asked this question multiple times (by emails) to the
technical
support team , but I always got the reply that they have Rails 1.0.0.

They never answered what version of Ruby the hosting servers had .
At least know I can run 1.1.2 by copying it into vendor\rails folder of
my
application.

>> I found their technical support useless.
>
> I'm sorry that you had problems with our technical support.  Any
> support questions not answered satisfactorily should have been
> escalated by our teams until a final resolution was found.

The only other time I found meaningful answers to my questions was when
one of
godaddy developers replied in this mailing list.

http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/58357#66672

>> I have been successfully able to run a rails application from a sub folder in
>> my web space, but not from the root directory.
>
> This is another area we'd like to address.

This is a major show stopper, please try addressing it ASAP.

`----