Forum: Ruby Re: parsedate doesn't work on Time.now.to_s

Berger, Daniel (Guest)
> ParseDate.parsedate(Time.now.to_s)
>           => [nil, 5, 2, 20, 17, 57, "GMT", 2]
>
> It seems that parsedate is not able to detect the year from
> the standard
> string conversion of a date/time. Is there another way to do
> this? Is it
> the same in the US as for me here in the UK? It seems rather
> inconsistent.
>
> Julian

It's not an issue specific to the UK:

irb(main):003:0> Time.now.to_s
=> "Tue May 02 13:46:27 Mountain Daylight Time 2006"
irb(main):043:0> ParseDate.parsedate(Time.now.to_s)
=> [nil, 5, 2, 13, 46, 18, "Mountain", 2]

The problem is that ParseDate does not handle long time zone
names, only abbreviated forms.  Consider:

irb(main):006:0> time = "Tue May 02 13:46:27 MST 2006"
=> "Tue May 02 13:46:27 MST 2006"
irb(main):007:0> ParseDate.parsedate(time)
=> [2006, 5, 2, 13, 46, 27, "MST", 2]

Regards,

Dan

or