Forum: Ruby on Rails how to reference a file for download

Larry W. (Guest)
I have an app that uploads files into the directory
RAILS_ROOT/documents/

I tried to access the file for downloading using <a
href="#{RAILS_ROOT}/documents/file_name">my file</a>.

Rails prepends the controller name to the link so I get

http://localhost:3000/tasks/show_document/config/....

What's the right way to do this?

thanks.
Ben R. (Guest)
Put the files in RAILS_ROOT/public/documents

This will make them accesible to anyone.

~ Ben

On 5/1/06, Larry W. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>  What's the right way to do this?
>
>  thanks.

Ben R.
303-947-0446
http://www.benr75.com
Larry W. (Guest)
That's the problem :-)
They're not supposed to be accessable to everyone. Access needs to be
restricted through a controller.

If they go in public is there anyway to filter access?