Forum: Ruby on Rails Uploading module in rails

Alexander Muse (Guest)
on 2006-05-03 19:46
PodServe (http://www.pod-serve.com) is written using ruby on rails.  We
host audio and movie files for users, but first they have to upload the
files to our servers.  Most of our users are non-technical so ftp is not
an option - instead they use a browser based http upload.

We have lots of of problems including (according to our engineer):
"Upload large files thought http always was a problematic feature: we
have browser timeouts, server timeouts, network connection problems - a
lot of things can affect the upload."

I use DropSend and they don't have any of the issues I face from our own
application.  I asked our programmers why (according to our programmer):
"they are not using rails for the files upload. That's something I've
discussed with alexl / kevin - Maybe we should do the upload module
using perl or php, so we can get a visual statusbar with connection
information and upload complete %."

Is this true?  Check out this screenshot:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alexmuse/139783365/
Why can't we do something like that in rails?  Any help, thoughts, would
be appreciated.
Alexander Muse (Guest)
on 2006-05-03 19:48
Alexander Muse wrote:

After seeing this our programmers stated: "rails will be able to do
that, but at this time is not a good idea to play with the visual
uploading -- it's pretty alpha."