Forum: Ruby on Rails Installing a standalone package of rails

Arjan (Guest)
on 2006-05-03 13:43
I recently downloaded a standalone package of rails, release 0.12.1
(.zip) but I don't know how to install. When I unzip, I get a lot of
-sometimes empty- folders. Should I copy these folders? If so, where
should I copy them?
I hope you can help me!
Guest (Guest)
on 2006-05-03 13:46
Arjan wrote:
> I recently downloaded a standalone package of rails, release 0.12.1
> (.zip) but I don't know how to install. When I unzip, I get a lot of
> -sometimes empty- folders. Should I copy these folders? If so, where
> should I copy them?
> I hope you can help me!

Did you install InstantRails?

You will find it here:
http://instantrails.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Instant_Rails

Follow the instructions there and you should be ready to go,

Per-Olof H.
Arjan (Guest)
on 2006-05-03 15:40
Guest wrote:
> Arjan wrote:
>> I recently downloaded a standalone package of rails, release 0.12.1
>> (.zip) but I don't know how to install. When I unzip, I get a lot of
>> -sometimes empty- folders. Should I copy these folders? If so, where
>> should I copy them?
>> I hope you can help me!
>

> Did you install InstantRails?
>
> You will find it here:
> http://instantrails.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Instant_Rails
>
> Follow the instructions there and you should be ready to go,
>
> Per-Olof H.

I installed InstantRails (and it works fine) but I have to use another
Rails version because a tutorial (Rails in 4 days) uses it too. The
problem is I don't know what to do with the standalone package of rails
(copy, install, something else...).
I also downloaded a .gem file of the same version, but the same for this
one: I don't know how to install. When I type "gem install
rails-0.12.1.gem" in the command box, it doesn't work.
Newbee... :(
Per-olof H. (Guest)
on 2006-05-03 21:41
I suggest you use another tutorial. Here is a lista of tutorials:

http://jroller.com/page/obie?entry=the_best_ruby_on_rails

Obie F. says about the Rails in 4 days: "should not be used by
absolute beginners wanting to teach themselves Rails"

Per-Olof